Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lonely clown fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10122)

kuatto 06-30-2004 03:53 AM

Lonely clown fish

Came home tonight to find my male clown dead :cry: Looks like there was a big panic in the tank,frags nocked over and he was on the intake screen for one of the power heads.Now she just circles around searching for her mate,its really heart breaking.
They were togather for nearly 3 years,so I don't know if I should get another to take the male's place or just leave her?Will she accept another clown(false clown)?

steve.bridges 06-30-2004 04:10 AM

im not certain but i think they have to be introduced as pairs otherwise they fight. Unless you have a large tank.

Probably best to wait for someone who knows a little more than me :biggrin:

good luck

DOO-E 06-30-2004 04:24 AM

You may not think it but i am pretty good on information with clowns. Here is what to do. Pair then like maroons. Place a safe haven in the tank for the smaller clown but allow the smaller clown all access to the tank. Make sure the holes in the haven are big enough for the small clowns but small enough that the bigger clown cannot get through. Or perhaps but a clown that is a little bigger. But if she is searching now would be the best time to get one as she is looking for either a her old mate or b a clown to replace the old one. Soory to hear about the clowns do you have any idea why it died?

AJ_77 06-30-2004 04:33 AM

When I introduced a new male I picked one half her size, then acclimated and put him in the tank inside a clear plastic "critter keeper." She had time to show me her intentions toward him, and after a couple hours with no visible aggression, I released him.

She showed him who was boss for a few minutes, he did the shakey-shakey, and things calmed down that same night.

They were both false percs.

DOO-E 06-30-2004 04:53 AM

the nice thing about Ocellaris clowns is that you can keep more than 2 and they get along

johnny rock 07-01-2004 01:51 AM

until the pair starts mating! then they won't get along so well [all 3]
of course depending on tank size

zulu_principle 07-01-2004 05:49 AM

Re: Lonely clown fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuatto
Came home tonight to find my male clown dead :cry: Looks like there was a big panic in the tank,frags nocked over and he was on the intake screen for one of the power heads.Now she just circles around searching for her mate,its really heart breaking.
They were togather for nearly 3 years,so I don't know if I should get another to take the male's place or just leave her?Will she accept another clown(false clown)?

Unfortuantely it happens, and sometimes it just could be some type of imbalance (chemical) in one of the fish.

Were they laying eggs ?

I would be paitient until you see longer term how the female reacts, could be should could also die, just make sure she is eating.

Doo-e brings up a couple of interesting points as to why they died, but these are not Maroons and should not be mated as such.

JMEHO

Wendell

dyereefer 07-01-2004 06:11 AM

here here to you zulu.
You got the guts to say what the rest of us do not.

DOO-E 07-01-2004 01:41 PM

Okay first Johnny in the book clownfish by joyce D. Wilkerson it clearly states that more than 2 ocellaris clowns will pai the female will be extremly aggressive to all new comers and thus the smaller clown should be treated with the upmost saftey

MitchM 07-01-2004 02:36 PM

:confused:

You know...when we post responses on the board here....we're not just talking to the one person concerned.......

Other people that are considering posting questions won't if there's a chance they're going to be ridiculed by experienced reefers.

Mitch