Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   kien's 150g Room Divider Mixed Reef & Stuff (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54164)

kien 03-29-2016 07:11 PM

Thanks everyone ! It's hard to believe that this tank is in its 7th year. Time flies when you're having fun. It's still "fun," right guys ? :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 987233)
Is that a blue-polyped pink stylo I see in there?

Pretty colours, everything looks so nice..

Yes, Tony. I think I gave you a frag once. Need another frag?

Delphinus 03-29-2016 07:16 PM

Quote:

Yes, Tony. I think I gave you a frag once. Need another frag?
You probably did, I've started to forget all the sorts of things I lost last year :( (familiar theme of a controller failure... sigh). Anyhow if you ever do make another piece, yes please!!!

kien 03-29-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 987251)
You probably did, I've started to forget all the sorts of things I lost last year :( (familiar theme of a controller failure... sigh). Anyhow if you ever do make another piece, yes please!!!

Oh I can make a frag anytime! We can just schedule something :-) I can also frag a bunch of other stuff that I really should prune..

* Red monti cap (*yawn*)
* Green birdsnest (*yawn*)
* Pink birdsnest
* multi-colour birdsnest
* Green confusa
* neon red/orange monti
* Forrest fire monti (that lost its green last December but is slowly coming back)
* Red/Orange/pink Montipora cebuensis (Bloody Mary Monti ?)

soapy 03-29-2016 08:34 PM

You guys are making me nervous now that I have installed a controller…

My tank has been up for 7 years also. I still have some of the original corals I started out with, including a bit of pulsing xenia which has somehow survived a lot of changes including bio-pellets.

kien 03-29-2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapy (Post 987257)
You guys are making me nervous now that I have installed a controller…

My tank has been up for 7 years also. I still have some of the original corals I started out with, including a bit of pulsing xenia which has somehow survived a lot of changes including bio-pellets.

Don't panic! There is no need to worry.. unless/until your controller crashes. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that, if something can go wrong, it probably will, at some point. Just enjoy the ride until the wheels fall off. :lol:

Delphinus 03-29-2016 09:13 PM

I wouldn't say "ditch your controller" but ultimately it is a piece of equipment like any other that is prone to eventual failure of some kind. Make sure that there are mitigations in place for any one thing that can take out a tank. In my case I've added a Ranco to my heater: both controllers have to fail for the heater to get stuck powered on. (Frankly I need to go even one step further and buy a smaller wattage heater, shame on me for not having done that yet, I better get on with that.)

But yeah "eggs all in one basket" kinda thing. I do prefer the ability to control outlets via a single controller (and correspondingly using my laptop or phone to do programming adjustments), but that's really where the convenience ends for me.

Delphinus 03-29-2016 09:14 PM

But yeah Kien is right. Eventually a wheel will fall off no matter what you do. Just enjoy the ride and hope for the best and deal with whatever comes your way as it plays out..

GQsmooth 09-24-2016 08:06 PM

Awesome build, how did the ikea countertop hold up? I was thinking of using one for my 220g

kien 09-24-2016 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQsmooth (Post 998972)
Awesome build, how did the ikea countertop hold up? I was thinking of using one for my 220g

Seven years now and still holding up just fine! I think.. I hope.. I better go check.

GQsmooth 09-25-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 998979)
Seven years now and still holding up just fine! I think.. I hope.. I better go check.

Sweet, also did you put anything under your stand to help level it out? Like 1/2" foam, or 3/4 plywood?