Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Sad find at the landfill (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130621)

Dearth 08-28-2020 11:01 PM

Sad find at the landfill

I was at our main landfill today and saw something that made me sad. There were several pieces of coral of all sizes in the bin in clear plastic bags. If I could of I would of went dumpster diving to grab them as many of them still looked viable.

To me it looked like someone did a tank shutdown as there were at least 12 pieces of coral of which I recognized a couple pieces of leathers and some hammers and possibly montipora and what looked like maybe Zoa’s on a good sized rock. It’s too bad that person went to that extreme instead of contacting the local community to help out or at least save some coral.

I looked but never saw anything else tank related no fish or equipment but still....

smokinreefer 08-31-2020 03:54 AM

Thats so crazy!

hillegom 08-31-2020 04:12 AM

Very disheartening. Sad
They even could have put it on CL for free

msjboy 09-01-2020 06:05 PM

Could be different situation though. A couple of months ago, an short lived ad showed up on craigslist with a guy crying out for help as his tank ( at lest 60 -90 gallons )was slowly leaking so all livestock and rocks was free as a result.. immediate action was needed. I did respond ( even had a cel #) but someone else beat me to it. It was very well stocked with a lot of stuff ( fish and corals )somewhere in North Burnaby/Vancouver area. In a town like Prince George, should something like a tank burst happen without a buddy system/contingency plan, say good bye to all your livestock. :neutral:

Dearth 09-01-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msjboy (Post 1045121)
Could be different situation though. A couple of months ago, an short lived ad showed up on craigslist with a guy crying out for help as his tank ( at lest 60 -90 gallons )was slowly leaking so all livestock and rocks was free as a result.. immediate action was needed. I did respond ( even had a cel #) but someone else beat me to it. It was very well stocked with a lot of stuff ( fish and corals )somewhere in North Burnaby/Vancouver area. In a town like Prince George, should something like a tank burst happen without a buddy system/contingency plan, say good bye to all your livestock. :neutral:

There is truth in what you say however while we are a small community and while myself and a few others being active on local forums and FB pages the one thing we do have is a relatively tight knit community you let one of us know we will all know within hours. With that being said though we do have a lot of lone wolfs in the community as well. I just hate to see stuff like this happen.

msjboy 09-01-2020 07:34 PM

Yes, I think there are a lot of lone wolf reefers out there, even in greater Vancouver. Lots of stuff on craigslist or facebook marketplace , or even some customers who shop at places like J&L, who probably don't care or want to consort with local forums, facebook, mewe etc. I do see some locals on forums like reef2reef or nano-reef, yet they are no where to be seen on canreef so not much of use if something bad happens with a international forum,no physical aid can happen.