Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Canreef Nano Contest 2012 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=233)
-   -   reefwars 2012 nano contest entry (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89949)

mrhasan 09-20-2012 05:10 AM

Hitchhiking this thread :D

I guess you want more interactions with corals now :P

Although these is probably the most challenging type of reefing but if you can't do it, it can be marked as impossible :P

And if by any chance you would let go off some suns, I will be the first one to grab atleast a head :D

reefwars 09-20-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 747887)
I have a tip for ya: Flow is king. 60+ x turnover each hour at least man. Settlement is the main reason people fail with AZoox. Keep the turnover high and you will keep organics in suspension for your protein skimmer to gobble up.

thats where i stand now figuring out the key components of my sump , what i should use and not use and how to plumb it together.

im still undecided as if ill use the display i have now or not, ill have a decision by the first ,its hard dimesions to work with lol

being so tall an being so narrow flow is gonna have a weird pattern thats for sure lol

Enigma 09-20-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishoholic (Post 747892)
Huh I've never heard the term azoox before now. Very cool Denny :thumb:

X2

Had to google it. :lol:

sphelps 09-20-2012 02:57 PM

I think the tall tank is ideal for keeping things suspended. I'd run a small closed loop with the suction centered within the rock work and the outputs scattered around the base. This way you push water upwards keeping things suspended and you're constantly drawing water inwards towards the corals which will promote feeding. The base will look like Swiss cheese but that's OK :mrgreen:

Looking forward to this one buddy, don't let me down.

reefwars 09-20-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 747961)
I think the tall tank is ideal for keeping things suspended. I'd run a small closed loop with the suction centered within the rock work and the outputs scattered around the base. This way you push water upwards keeping things suspended and you're constantly drawing water inwards towards the corals which will promote feeding. The base will look like Swiss cheese but that's OK :mrgreen:

Looking forward to this one buddy, don't let me down.

thats actuallly awesome, i was sitting here last night wondering how i can hide the plumbing and doing a closed loop through the bottom never even hit me :P

ok so now im going out to grab a few 1/2" or 3/4" bulkheads and see how many holes one can drill in 8" x 8" :)

sweet thanks steve:)

reefwars 09-20-2012 03:31 PM

i think ill do a coral skeleton rubble sand bed to hide the bulkheads and small standpipes:)

reefwars 09-20-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma (Post 747926)
X2

Had to google it. :lol:

ive wanted to do one for years, they are the hardest kind of reeftank to pull off but im up for the challenge:)

The Grizz 09-20-2012 04:54 PM

What happened to waiting until the last minute to start this!! :razz: now I am going to have to start mine now too :twised:

albert_dao 09-20-2012 07:50 PM

Before I forget to mention, you're also going to want to me allotments for a large host of scavengers. Specifically, I would be seeding all sorts of bristleworms, mini brittle stars and plenty of larger brittle stars. In my Dendro tank, I had 12 large brittle and serpent stars of various species. They're mostly unobtrusive and fulfill one of the most important roles in the tank - with the corals being unable to move and all. They're also less prone to stealing food from your corals, unlike shrimp and crabs.

Boxboy 09-20-2012 07:52 PM

Sounds like its going to be amazing :) Cant wait to see how it turns out.