Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WAY worse than a tank leak! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83907)

Oceanic 03-07-2012 02:56 AM

WAY worse than a tank leak!

So I got a call from my strata company this morning to advise me of a major water incident, they needed me to open up my tenant apartment ASAP.

I know tank leaks or burst tanks can cause lots of damage but try having a roofer fall through the roof of a three story building and in the process takes out a main fire sprinkler feed line! It is estimated that the damaged pipe ran for over 40 minutes pumping out somewhere around 40,000 gallons of water from the third floor all the way down to the underground parking..

Three stories of damage, estimated 2 million in damage.
15 units uninhabitable including the one I own.

Water is an amazingly destructive force!!:sad:

Flash 03-07-2012 02:59 AM

THAT SUCKS... i am so sorry to hear that :(

Funky_Fish14 03-07-2012 03:02 AM

Wow, really sorry to hear that! Thats terrible! Hope things dont take too long to get sorted and get you back on track!

Coralgurl 03-07-2012 03:02 AM

Wow that's horrible! Water is As bad as fire IMO. I had a brand new commercial office building, 6 months old, the high pressure water line to the fan coil unit let go on the 12th floor, ran for an hour before security caught it - 11:30 on a Saturday night, water from 12th to 4th floor. The plumber should have welded the line 1/2 ", it was 1/4" and the pressure caused it to fail, contractors insurance covered all the damage to the building and the occupant fixtures.

Hope you have good insurance!

Oceanic 03-07-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 (Post 690792)
Wow, really sorry to hear that! Thats terrible! Hope things dont take too long to get sorted and get you back on track!

Apparently it is estimated that repairs will take 2 months, it looks like the roofers insurance and the strata insurance is covering it. My insurance is covering lost rental and other damages.. I am on the hook for the deductible at
least!

Oceanic 03-07-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coralgurl (Post 690793)
Wow that's horrible! Water is As bad as fire IMO. I had a brand new commercial office building, 6 months old, the high pressure water line to the fan coil unit let go on the 12th floor, ran for an hour before security caught it - 11:30 on a Saturday night, water from 12th to 4th floor. The plumber should have welded the line 1/2 ", it was 1/4" and the pressure caused it to fail, contractors insurance covered all the damage to the building and the occupant fixtures.

Hope you have good insurance!

How long did the repairs take?

Coralgurl 03-07-2012 03:22 AM

Not long actually. We had serpro in that night cleaning up the water and running fans. Don't let anyone tell you the drywall will be ok, insist it's removed as soon as possible, carpet and wood floors were pulled on the upper floors. I just went through another mold remediation on another property and now anytime we have wet walls, it goes. Costs 5xs more to remediate mold than to remove up front. If you can, take photos of the damage and provide to your insurance co. Chances are the strata will be responsible for base building, demising walls, but your insurance will cover your fixtures and finishes and interior walls. If you have a tenant, their insurance will cover their possessions. It's a bit of a mess but they should all work together to resolve as soon as possible. Keep in touch with your board or management company, they should have procedures in place.

I hope it gets resolved quickly for you!

Coralgurl 03-07-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oceanic (Post 690795)
Apparently it is estimated that repairs will take 2 months, it looks like the roofers insurance and the strata insurance is covering it. My insurance is covering lost rental and other damages.. I am on the hook for the deductible at
least!

That sounds about right but check with your insurance company, you may be able to subrogate against the roofers insurance if they caused it. None of my tenants had a single out of pocket cost or were fully reimbursed.

fishoholic 03-07-2012 01:10 PM

:eek:

Leah 03-07-2012 01:15 PM

Holly Hannah...that is just horrible news. :sad: