Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Anybody know the answer (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89694)

nanoreefnewbie 09-12-2012 03:27 AM

Anybody know the answer

I just started cycling a 20 gallon nano reef its got 40ish lbs live rock and 20 lbs sand..I'm using a marineland LED light..i turn it on 8 am ish from night moon lights and 8 pm turn off all light into darkness for a few hours then the moon lights till morning..is this a proper light cycle or what..any suggestions???

Aquattro 09-12-2012 03:47 AM

12 hours of full light might be a bit much. I run my LEDs full power for about 7 hours. Depends on the intensity and the corals. If they're ok and good color, you should be ok, but could probably get away with less.

nanoreefnewbie 09-12-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 745342)
12 hours of full light might be a bit much. I run my LEDs full power for about 7 hours. Depends on the intensity and the corals. If they're ok and good color, you should be ok, but could probably get away with less.

Sweet thanks you ill change accordingly then...is the full darkness right? And moonlight time doesn't matter right??? And right now tank is cycling so no corals yet..thank you for suggestion aquattro..:biggrin:

Aquattro 09-12-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoreefnewbie (Post 745348)
Sweet thanks you ill change accordingly then...is the full darkness right? And moonlight time doesn't matter right??? And right now tank is cycling so no corals yet..thank you for suggestion aquattro..:biggrin:

Full dark is fine. I think moonlight is more for us, although I run it, just because I can. Nothing bad about it.

Nano 09-12-2012 04:49 AM

+1 I do about 7-8 hours daylight then my moonlights come one for 2 hours or so

subman 09-12-2012 05:01 AM

Me to full power for about six hour with a ramp up of about 1 hour on either side. I run moonlights for a couple hours before and after but it goes full black in between, I find the fish like the pitch black ( I think they do anyway lol)

nanoreefnewbie 09-12-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 745353)
Full dark is fine. I think moonlight is more for us, although I run it, just because I can. Nothing bad about it.

More for us?? Bigger tanks you mean? Nanos don't require moon lights...

nanoreefnewbie 09-12-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nano (Post 745362)
+1 I do about 7-8 hours daylight then my moonlights come one for 2 hours or so

awesome thank you ill change my lighting from 6-8 hrs few hrs moon night will be darkness

nanoreefnewbie 09-12-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 745365)
Me to full power for about six hour with a ramp up of about 1 hour on either side. I run moonlights for a couple hours before and after but it goes full black in between, I find the fish like the pitch black ( I think they do anyway lol)

Yea I would think so we like too sleep in dark right:smile:

Aquattro 09-12-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoreefnewbie (Post 745372)
More for us?? Bigger tanks you mean? Nanos don't require moon lights...

lol, no just the whole moonlight idea is to make the humans happy, not the fish.