Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Coral Only tank, which salt? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122226)

CandyCane 01-26-2017 05:36 AM

Coral Only tank, which salt?

I'm building a frag tank and was wondering which salt brand is most recommended for coral only tanks? or if the salt isn't so important as which types of boosters should I be using?

WarDog 01-26-2017 06:00 AM

Oh boy... here we go. Lol.

CandyCane 01-26-2017 06:05 AM

Too open of a question? haha maybe it is open to too many personal opinions. I havent had a marine tank in 3 years so I'm a bit behind on all the new discoveries and options available.
I'm starting off with Coralife just to get the tank started and cycling but once it's ready to go I'd like to use a better quality mix.

DKoKoMan 01-26-2017 06:10 AM

I'm currently using Reef Crystals, I will probably try out Aquaforest in the near future as it's being carried by many of the LFS now.

shiftline 01-26-2017 06:23 AM

I use reef crystals too. Mainly because I stock up when it goes on sale for cheap. On my last bucket so may try something new when I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarDog 01-26-2017 06:25 AM

Pretty much the bottom line is : all brands of salt are good.

Some people have favourites... just because, experience. Some people hate certain brands... just because, experience. There is no correct answer, or wrong answer. Just pick one.

Some mix dirty.

Some mix clean.

Some are cheaper.

Some are expensive.

Some have low values.

Some have high values.

I've seen amazing tanks on cheap salt...

and I've seen crappy tanks on expensive salt.

Either way, corals need consistent levels of Alk, Cal, and Mg. So no matter which salt you choose, you will need to dose, or do frequent water changes.

Best you can do is find a brand that mixes closest to the values YOU want to maintain and is affordable for YOU.

Here is a database I started.

iamfrontosa 01-26-2017 07:49 AM

Use the salt that will closely match the parameters you are trying to keep.

Saying that, my friends have positive result with Aquaforest Reef.

Myka 01-26-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamfrontosa (Post 1006977)
Use the salt that will closely match the parameters you are trying to keep.

This. ^

Having said that, what parameters do you want to keep? What types of corals?

Also, I'd highly recommend you plan to add some fish to the frag tank for a couple reasons: to provide nutrients (poop) for the corals, and to help clean the corals (keep algae off, maybe pests). Naso Tangs are my favorite fish to keep with corals because they eat pretty much any algae, and many of them will eat Bubble Algae too. However, most frag tanks are way too small for a Naso - maybe a small Tomini would be a decent choice, prob won't eat Bubble Algae though. Some Blennies are good, though I've seen Blennies nip/bite/damage corals too. Wrasses like a Melanurus or Yellow Coris are really good at pecking off critters like flatworms.

CandyCane 01-26-2017 08:05 PM

Great advice already. Thanks a bunch. While we're on the topic of parameters which test kits have you had the best results with? I remember awhile ago they were coming out with electronic testers, did those ever become a big thing or are the strips and drops still the best?

tang daddy 01-26-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyCane (Post 1007015)
Great advice already. Thanks a bunch. While we're on the topic of parameters which test kits have you had the best results with? I remember awhile ago they were coming out with electronic testers, did those ever become a big thing or are the strips and drops still the best?

I use Hanna for phosphate and alk
Salifert for alk,ca,mg, and nitrates
Elos ca alk and mg

Electronic testing is extremely expensive still unless your talking about the colormeters and test strips are good for hot tubs or pools but not if you have the equivalent price of a small/used car invested in your reef!