Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   vodka dosing on small system?? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79701)

evaneatspie555 11-02-2011 07:39 AM

vodka dosing on small system??

i have 30 gallon tank and small .5 refugium with a taam rio nano skimmer so in all i have about 25 gallons of water. wich to my understanding is the dosage size (0.1ml per 25gallons of water ect) would u recomend this method fr a smaller tank or is overdosing to high of a risk in a small tank. if so what are some less expensive alternatives to less nitrates, phosphates and clearer water ??? any help is appreciated

Bloodasp 11-02-2011 07:52 AM

5% Water change a week.

SpruceGruve 11-02-2011 08:34 AM

i do 30-40% WC a week

reefme 11-02-2011 12:05 PM

Sorry, what is vodka dosing?

wingedfish 11-02-2011 12:54 PM

It depends on the reason you have chosen vodka. Vodka is used as a carbon source for nitrifying bacteria. Therefor if you are having trouble controlling nitrates, then vodka, vs, vsv, or pellets may all be suggested. But phosphates will still be, or become an issue.

TheMikey 11-02-2011 01:02 PM

I tried vodka dosing on my old 15g that was sumpless with a Tunze 9002 skimmer. Did it for about three months but didn't notice any real changes to the coloration of my corals. Unless you're running a huge bioload, stick with water changes IMO.

tl;dr - it can be done, but it's a headache without a huge benefit.

reefwars 11-02-2011 03:20 PM

personally i think any tank under a 100g is very simple to keep your nitrates below 10ppm , theres a very very hush hush secret to it though you ready??? ok here it is but dont tell anyone k....shhh!!

blow debris of your rocks, followed by large water changes and very light feedings...waa laa .....zero to low nitrates once they are low REGULAR water changes will keep them in check as long as your have decent flow around your rocks and your not over feeding.

the success to low nutrient systems for me is quite simple i run gfo in a reactor id never run a tank without it, i do decet water changes and i dont have a large bio load so i dont feed alot.

if you put to many fish in your tank, you feed too much food, you let ditrius build up and dont stay on top of water changes nitrates will build up, its easier to control them then it is to get rid of them.

imo carbon dosing is something left to those who are experienced enough to do so as the margin for error is easy in a small tank as with all things in a small tank, carbon dosing also needs to be followed to a tee in order for it to work and akes a min of weeks to see results.it works great and alot of peope do it including myself(vodka) ii would also recommend having a skimmer that exceeds your take volume the bigger the better:)

cheers:)