Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Elos Mag. test (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50100)

Zoaelite 03-02-2009 08:49 PM

Elos Mag. test

Just wondering if anyone ever has problems with these, EVERY time i do the test instead of getting a green color (or what ever color your actually suppost to get) I end up with a maroon chunky solution. Any insight folks?
Levi

xtreme 03-02-2009 08:51 PM

Do you have the new version that has two phases to the test?

Zoaelite 03-02-2009 09:00 PM

tba

Yes, its the 2 step A,B,C and power D I think it is (might be wrong might just be A, B and power C?)
Lvi

xtreme 03-02-2009 09:13 PM

I think C is the powder if I remember correctly. I have only used mine twice and haven't had any problems. Are you dumping out the water after you count the number of drops of part A?

untamed 03-02-2009 09:38 PM

Just posted this in the thread below this one...

Yes, Part C is the powder. I think you are correct in that the likely problem is failure to dump out, clean and rinse the vial following the first test.

If your kit doesn't have Parts A, B, C and D..then disregard the instructions below....

Test 1:
Take a 3ml water sample and titrate using Part A until colour changes from red-orange to green. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 33-35 drops)

Test 2:
Clean/rinse the test vial; Take a new 3ml water sample.
Add 5 drops of Part B. Mix 30 seconds
Add one small spoonful (.15ml) of Part C powder. Mix shortly.
Titrate using Part D until you see colour change from pink-violet to light-blue. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 5-6 drops)

Math:
Subtract the # of drops in Test 2, from the # of drops on Test 1...and multiply by 50 to get your answer in ppm Mg. (34-5) = 29; 29x50 = 1450ppm

globaldesigns 03-02-2009 09:39 PM

I use it, it is a 2 step...

first one is I believe A, you add it until it changes from the orangy color to green. It takes me about 26-36 drops depending....

Then you rinse and then use the last 3, adding the initial drops then powder, then using the last drops until it changes color. (I am usually 6 drops)

You then take the results from the first test, subtract the amount of drops from the last addition in the second test, then multiply by 50

I hope this makes sense.

It took me a bit and some wasted testings to figure it out.

Zoaelite 03-02-2009 11:00 PM

Wow

WOW, well I feel a little stupid now (the instructions don't say anything about dumping it out, that would explain my chunky concoction lol) but thank you so much guys, can always rely on canreefers to be friendly and prompt!
Levi

ColinD 03-02-2009 11:52 PM

I had completely given up on this kit, no where does it say to discard the first test :faint:

Colin

Johnny Reefer 03-02-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoaElite (Post 394843)
WOW, well I feel a little stupid now (the instructions don't say anything about dumping it out, that ...

Don't feel stupid. I was doing the same thing, and I too, thought the instructions didn't say anything about it. Turns out they do, but in a very convoluted way. Elos and their instructions, :rolleyes: Oy Vey. There have been other instruction problems with other Elos kits too.

Cheers,

Tangman 03-03-2009 12:39 AM

Wow, I sure am glad I didn't buy one of these kits, sound like a lot to do, to find out your Mag ppm
Safert is much easier
Quote:

Originally Posted by untamed (Post 394809)
Just posted this in the thread below this one...

Yes, Part C is the powder. I think you are correct in that the likely problem is failure to dump out, clean and rinse the vial following the first test.

If your kit doesn't have Parts A, B, C and D..then disregard the instructions below....

Test 1:
Take a 3ml water sample and titrate using Part A until colour changes from red-orange to green. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 33-35 drops)

Test 2:
Clean/rinse the test vial; Take a new 3ml water sample.
Add 5 drops of Part B. Mix 30 seconds
Add one small spoonful (.15ml) of Part C powder. Mix shortly.
Titrate using Part D until you see colour change from pink-violet to light-blue. Count the drops. (for me, this is typically about 5-6 drops)

Math:
Subtract the # of drops in Test 2, from the # of drops on Test 1...and multiply by 50 to get your answer in ppm Mg. (34-5) = 29; 29x50 = 1450ppm