Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Marine Fish (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Yellow Tang problem ? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47722)

GTP Guy 12-24-2008 06:28 PM

Yellow Tang problem ?

Hey guys,

My yellow tang seems to have quit eating. It was fine one day then not eating anything the next, he used to come shooting over to where the food was and gobble it up with the rest of the fish. He even used to compete with our niger trigger for the Nori clip.

Now he barely swims, more floats in the current, and even when the food is right in front of him he just looks at it. He had lost some color so I added another air stone for oxygenation, his color came back but the attitude stayed, I changed food from brine shrimp to Mysis a little while ago but this happened before that. He must be eating something as he's still alive but I don't actually see him eating (even when I stand VERY far away LOL

Water Params:

SG:1.023
PH: 8.1
Phos: 0
Nitrates:5 PPM
nitrites :0
Ammonia: 0

Ideas ?

Trigger Man 12-24-2008 09:32 PM

Try mixing garlic suppliments to your food. As well when was your last water change? I found and have heard from others that yellow tangs are a great way to tell when you water is not quite right, they tend to start eating better when the stress is dealt with. As well it is a tang, so it will munch on algae in the tank as well.

naesco 12-24-2008 09:48 PM

Tangs except regal tangs, require algae not meaty foods.
Get some unflavoured nori from the store and soak it in selcon and garlic extract or garlic extreme.
I would also check your water quality with a new test kit.

Reefhawk1 12-25-2008 04:05 PM

Are there any signs of disease? Is there rapid gill movement at all times? Has the tang lost color at all?

I had this problem a couple of times over the years with yellow tangs. Seems they would stop eating due to illness.

GTP Guy 12-25-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefhawk1 (Post 371443)
Are there any signs of disease? Is there rapid gill movement at all times? Has the tang lost color at all?

I had this problem a couple of times over the years with yellow tangs. Seems they would stop eating due to illness.

yes to both, it sounds like you might know something. Whatcha got?

ShrimSkin 12-26-2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTP Guy (Post 371460)
yes to both, it sounds like you might know something. Whatcha got?

Were you only feeding brine before?? Brine has pretty much 0 nutitional value. Mysis is defintely better, that with the nori and some pellets would be good. Tangs love to eat so when they stop its not a good sign, you said it is showing signs of disease, are there any other symptoms other than loss of color.

GTP Guy 12-26-2008 03:15 PM

I was feeding them brine (on recommendation of my LFS) but I was also feeding him Nori as well (I knew he was a grazer) and he was eating well, then he just stopped eating.

Signs of disease that I've seen:

Not eating
some loss of color
rapid breathing
his mouth never closes

There are no sores or anything that I can see externally, I looked at his gills last night and i couldn't see any redness but it was dark and I was using a flash light.

I'm starting to get worried about him as he's starting to get thin.

Red Deer Reptiles 12-27-2008 04:50 AM

yellow tang not eating

sounds to me. being bullied, he ate wrong foods, know stress is main problem. got quarentine tank. time is not on your side. hope i helped a little dan

Red Deer Reptiles 12-27-2008 05:04 AM

yellow tang not eating

one more quick note.dkh8-12 sg 1.020-1.025 ph8.1 -8.4 temp72-79 diet herbivore.if your wondering.sounds like your water is ok.dan

chevyjaxon 12-27-2008 10:45 AM

just a dumb thought, maybe he munched on a coral by mistake and got poisoned