Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   J&L ????? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606)

wayner 02-23-2017 04:40 PM

J&L ?????

where did they go? don't see them in Sponsor section.:cry:

Ryanerickson 02-23-2017 05:40 PM

This site has very little sponsors 3-4 I think now dropping like flies

DKoKoMan 02-23-2017 07:35 PM

What J&L is gone?

WarDog 02-23-2017 08:15 PM

Who?

hunggi74 02-23-2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarDog (Post 1009338)
Who?

That's cold.

DKoKoMan 02-24-2017 04:51 AM

Ya it sucks to see people drop. I always enjoy trying to support the Canadian companies.

hunggi74 02-24-2017 04:55 AM

JL is still very much in business LOL

Myka 02-24-2017 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner (Post 1009322)
where did they go? don't see them in Sponsor section.:cry:

They are no longer a sponsor here. This means that people will no longer be able to post links to J&L's website (inc sale ads, which people love to do). They were the longest standing sponsor at Canreef, and it's sad that they have left us. If you'd like to see them back, please go tell them. Tell them that you want to be able to post links to their website! We'd love to have them back!

wayner 02-24-2017 01:38 PM

I've been around here a long time like J&L, to see them pull out is just a sad day in the Canreef World.

DKoKoMan 02-24-2017 03:58 PM

I will pass on my feedback for sure.

davej 02-24-2017 06:36 PM

As if they don't make enough money off of all of us to cover the cost of a sponsership.

DKoKoMan 02-24-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davej (Post 1009414)
As if they don't make enough money off of all of us to cover the cost of a sponsership.

+1

Potatohead 02-24-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davej (Post 1009414)

I would think one of us alone more than covers it lol

Ryanerickson 02-24-2017 09:19 PM

I think it's hard for business's like our local fish stores to stay afloat these days. I know first hand, I helped out on weekends at a local fish shop years ago it went belly up even with minimum competition, fish-coral market is pretty small on the west coast. But I would guess the biggest factor is all the free advertising you can take advantage of thru social media. Why spend big bucks if you don't need too. Sponsorship is not cheap

A upgrade too this site may also help attract new sponsors and users it's kinda looking old, (no fault of the mods) the layout of sites like r2r is pretty awesome just saying hint hint Titus.

Werbo 02-26-2017 05:05 AM

I second the call to a upgrade to this site. It is out of date compared to the forum software readily available and in use on other sites.

DKoKoMan 02-26-2017 05:06 AM

I haven't been on the other forums so I'm not sure of the difference in style.

MitchM 02-26-2017 11:56 AM

As you folks can see by the dwindling sponsorship dollars, the owner of this site has no interest in upgrading the site or attracting additional revenue.
It is what it is.
It's too bad.

The last talk of upgrading was 3 years ago.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=104053

Many sponsors have left since then.
The results speak for themselves.

Scythanith 02-26-2017 12:33 PM

It's the fight with the drift of users to Facebook. Damn kids these days :)

MitchM 02-26-2017 12:48 PM

Facebook is a factor, but I wouldn't characterize Canreef ownership as "proactive"
Competition will always be around.

Ryanerickson 02-26-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchM (Post 1009501)
As you folks can see by the dwindling sponsorship dollars, the owner of this site has no interest in upgrading the site or attracting additional revenue.
It is what it is.
It's too bad.

The last talk of upgrading was 3 years ago.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=104053

Many sponsors have left since then.
The results speak for themselves.

Ain't this the truth

Reef Pilot 02-26-2017 03:34 PM

I think what has happened is that canreef activity has really dropped off, especially by some of the longer term more experienced reefers. When the canreef "executive" decided to crack down on frequent coral sellers and ban all criticism of current sponsors, that put a lot of people off (including me). It was made pretty clear at the time, that sponsors were the priority, not the canreef users. I think that has backfired, and now sponsors are leaving because they can't justify the cost given the lower canreef activity.

I worked in retail my whole career, and it was an obvious given that the customer was always number 1, not the suppliers, sponsors or anyone else. And the canreef users are the customers in this case. Without them, sponsors won't exist. But that doesn't seem to be understood by some...

DKoKoMan 02-26-2017 04:28 PM

Thanks for sharing that link. I just browsed through all the suggestions for the site improvements.

ponokareefer 02-28-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef Pilot (Post 1009508)
I think what has happened is that canreef activity has really dropped off, especially by some of the longer term more experienced reefers. When the canreef "executive" decided to crack down on frequent coral sellers and ban all criticism of current sponsors, that put a lot of people off (including me). It was made pretty clear at the time, that sponsors were the priority, not the canreef users. I think that has backfired, and now sponsors are leaving because they can't justify the cost given the lower canreef activity.

I worked in retail my whole career, and it was an obvious given that the customer was always number 1, not the suppliers, sponsors or anyone else. And the canreef users are the customers in this case. Without them, sponsors won't exist. But that doesn't seem to be understood by some...

This is when I started seeing a lot of drop off as well. They also removed the buy/sell posts from the main page, and put in the sponsor posts.

Scythanith 02-28-2017 07:59 PM

I hate to say it guys but a forum like this doesn't run for free. We get to enjoy a free platform while there are server costs, etc. I can totally understand why vendors are given some leeway.

I always hope that doesn't come at the "cost" of honest reviews and or excess censorship, but in the end it is the user that will dictate the format. If people don't like what's happening they simply stop coming to the site and using other outlets. It's up to the mods and Titus to decide what they can tolerate and what they can't, and I will never question them on this as it's their site, not ours.

I for one think that this has been done fairly well for the most part. I have encountered my share of paid vendor censorship, and while I was grumpy with it, I never claimed it was unfair. It's completely within their rights :)

I don't know how much people have been ordering from J&L as a result of their sponsorship here but they obviously crunched the numbers and no longer felt it was worth while. I get a chuckle at people saying "we spend so much money there, they must be making cash off of us". It's not a cheap membership to be a vendor here (depending on how you look at it I guess). Once you factor in the actual profit they make off of the sales, that's a lot of fish food they need to sell to break even.

Just my 2 cents :)

WarDog 02-28-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scythanith (Post 1009681)
I hate to say it guys but a forum like this doesn't run for free. We get to enjoy a free platform while there are server costs, etc. I can totally understand why vendors are given some leeway.

I always hope that doesn't come at the "cost" of honest reviews and or excess censorship, but in the end it is the user that will dictate the format. If people don't like what's happening they simply stop coming to the site and using other outlets. It's up to the mods and Titus to decide what they can tolerate and what they can't, and I will never question them on this as it's their site, not ours.

I for one think that this has been done fairly well for the most part. I have encountered my share of paid vendor censorship, and while I was grumpy with it, I never claimed it was unfair. It's completely within their rights :)

I don't know how much people have been ordering from J&L as a result of their sponsorship here but they obviously crunched the numbers and no longer felt it was worth while. I get a chuckle at people saying "we spend so much money there, they must be making cash off of us". It's not a cheap membership to be a vendor here (depending on how you look at it I guess). Once you factor in the actual profit they make off of the sales, that's a lot of fish food they need to sell to break even.

Just my 2 cents :)

+1