Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   BB Or sand Bed? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101756)

banditpowdercoat 10-25-2013 03:42 AM

BB Or sand Bed?

Once upon a time, I had sand in my 150g. But had a Wrassehole who loved to spread sand all over my tank. So I removed the sand. Only a lil, maybe 1/4" under couple sections of rock. But the Wrasse is gone now. I'm wondering if it would be benificial to put a sandbed back? Maybe coarser? I had Fine Caribsea sand at the time.

Whats your thoughts? Pro's con's? I know needs to be within a certian thickness right, to not get the anerobic layer? Or do we want to have that layer?

monocus 10-25-2013 03:55 AM

sand

my sand bed is between 4-8 inches of sugar sand

chi 10-25-2013 05:27 AM

This is one of those 50/50 things. Flip a coin to decide. Too many failures, and success stories.

Should just really decide based on visual appeal. I personally like a very thin layer of sand bed and I would create a "sand storm" once a week to take care of any detritus.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Proteus 10-25-2013 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi (Post 853800)
This is one of those 50/50 things. Flip a coin to decide. Too many failures, and success stories.

Should just really decide based on visual appeal. I personally like a very thin layer of sand bed and I would create a "sand storm" once a week to take care of any detritus.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

+1. I like the clean if BB and the look of sand. Tile was the middle

SeaHorse_Fanatic 10-25-2013 06:06 AM

We tried for 6 months going BB but wifey & I hated the look. Always have 1-2" sandbed of coarse sand in all my tanks. I also like having lots of wrasses.

spit.fire 10-25-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 853801)
+1. I like the clean if BB and the look of sand. Tile was the middle

I went tile and used gravel as grout

jason604 10-25-2013 11:00 AM

What we're all trying to do is to mimic the ocean. What kind of ocean doesn't have sand? I have about 2-3'' Got a sand sifting fish so I don't have to worry about keeping the sand clean. He keeps it looking brand spanking new =). I got Fiji pink Carib

jason604 10-25-2013 11:01 AM

What we're all trying to do is to mimic the ocean. What kind of ocean doesn't have sand? I have about 2-3'' Got a sand sifting fish so I don't have to worry about keeping the sand clean. He keeps it looking brand spanking new =). I got Fiji pink Carib

jason604 10-25-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 853806)
I went tile and used gravel as grout

Can u show me a pic of what this looks like?

Dearth 10-25-2013 12:13 PM

I had sugar sand in my first tank had a ton of issues with it so when I upgraded I did half my tank in course sand and the other half in crushed coral both to 3/4 inch in depth and I like the look I no longer have sand all over everything and the fish/inverts that like sand can have their playground and on the crushed coral side I love the look of it and surprisingly a lot of my inverts love playing in it.

BB tanks have their advantages too but I am not a big fan of them myself but there are some damn fine tanks out there BB and are very drool worthy.