Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Instant Ocean Reef Crystals crashed my Tank! (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109918)

Tiansho 10-22-2014 06:11 PM

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals crashed my Tank!

After a regular water change using the Reef Crystals salt, all my fish died. I was lucky enough to notice and took most corals (LPS) out. Please be aware of this salt, so it does not happen to you. I went back to the store and changed the salt water, but it was too late for my fish.

Ryanerickson 10-22-2014 06:23 PM

How did it crash your tank? I find this highly unlikely the salt crashed your tank, care to explain more?

Treebeard 10-22-2014 06:32 PM

Ditto. I've been using Reef Crystals for years without an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanerickson (Post 917901)
How did it crash your tank? I find this highly unlikely the salt crashed your tank, care to explain more?

SeaHorse_Fanatic 10-22-2014 06:48 PM

We're you using RODI or tap water? If tap, the city could have added higher levels of chlorine or chloramine if its been raining hard in Calgary and the waters are turbid.

riceboy 10-22-2014 07:04 PM

I only use reefcrystal and have been for 8 years with no prob. did you mix up the salt but even that wouldn't affect the fish.

Tiansho 10-22-2014 07:35 PM

I am using RODI water and have been since I started my tank. I ran out of my salinity salt. I tried using reef crystals, and mixed my salt with RODI water, left mixing for two days. Reached salinity level 1.025 (same as my tank) and same temperature. Tank was doing really well prior to water change. And after...... the tank crashed. I got some salinity salt fron my brother in law and within a few hrs i saved what corals i could.

Pike 10-22-2014 07:45 PM

Any possibility that something may of fallen in the saltwater mix during those 2 days? You got kids? cleaning lady ? smelly aerosols automatically perfuming the room? that stuff can kill a tank

rayjay 10-22-2014 08:00 PM

Even if it had been a bad batch, all the forums would be getting complaints by all the people who would have purchased the bad batch. I very much doubt that you would have been the only one getting a bad batch.
Salt mixes are often used as a scapegoat for things that go wrong, when it fact, at worst, it is only a coincidental occurrence.

Jaysan 10-22-2014 08:10 PM

It might have been that you switched salts.
The parameters for Reef Crystals may be different from the parameters of the salinity salt even if you have the salinity at 1.025.

I've read somewhere before that changing salt may not always be a good idea.

Tiansho 10-22-2014 08:10 PM

Well i did think about it, but im pretty sure i did the same steps. Took the same precautions and the only different step was the salt.