Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   growing macro vs. skimmer (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80519)

chris88 11-28-2011 05:10 PM

growing macro vs. skimmer

Has anyone ever tried growing macroalgae instead of using their skimmer. I am getting feed up with my skimmer and i am thinking about a change?

Proteus 11-28-2011 05:14 PM

Growing sponge would be a good way along with macro

reefwars 11-28-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris88 (Post 654836)
Has anyone ever tried growing macroalgae instead of using their skimmer. I am getting feed up with my skimmer and i am thinking about a change?

ive ran more setups without skimmers and using fuges than i have with skimmers lol you may want to consider your waterchange routine then though hehehe ;)

for anyone new i would never recommend not using a skimmer but if youve been in the game a while(like you have) then we learn where the bio load comes from....me personally im not a fish fan, too messy,too risky and no payback...... since i always keep a very low bioload and it stays that way for a long time the only new stuff that hits my tank is corals and media replacement/dosings.

running a sps dominated reef will be a bit harder then what ive always done(mixed reef) so i guess you will have to be extra diligent on what goes into and out of your tank:):)

reefwars 11-28-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris88 (Post 654836)

what kind of macro were you thinking and are you going to use it directly in your display or keep it isolated in your sump ??:)

fishytime 11-28-2011 11:08 PM

I think you would need a metric tonne of macro to completely replace what a skimmer does.....like Denny said you will need to adjust your maintenance routine...... whats the issue with your skimmer?

Myka 11-28-2011 11:41 PM

Maybe you need a new skimmer? The awesomest is using a skimmer AND Chaeto. :Banane01:

Skimmerking 11-28-2011 11:47 PM

You need to call the skimmerman for all your skimmer needs

reefwars 11-28-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 654983)
Maybe you need a new skimmer? The awesomest is using a skimmer AND Chaeto. :Banane01:

awesomest....im so stealing this lol thanks mindy hehehe:):)

chris88 11-29-2011 04:29 PM

i use a bubble magus and it works awesome when it is working. Problem is that the air line keeps getting slighlty clogged and the skimmer over flows and makes a huge mess.

I have always used a skimmer but lately i think growing chateo in the sump might be easier.

phyto4life 11-29-2011 05:40 PM

I'll have to agree with reefwars.

Not having a skimmer just means you have to limit you bioload, feeding and increase the dilution of your pollution through consistant weekly/bi-weekly water changes.