Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sand vs no sand? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106934)

tt101 06-11-2014 06:42 PM

Just personal preference here that I hate bare bottom tanks and could never imagine running one. I see a lot of people with discuss tanks do this. It just doesn't look or feel right to me.

I always mention to people that with a sand bed you must include something that will sift it up to prevent the build up of toxic gasses. In my 90Gallon freshwater I have a horseface loach and in my SW setup I have a sleeper goby. (considering a sand sifting star but I know how difficult they are to keep)

So really it comes down to you, both ways are fine and BB is much easier and cleaner but it all comes down to you.

hfp75 06-11-2014 06:56 PM

I have a Sand Sifting Star in my 55G and it has been in there for over a year without any issues.... hes moving all over and looks absolutely fine. Now its not a large one... maybe 2" diameter...

Just get the right size for your tank...

tt101 06-13-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfp75 (Post 901126)
I have a Sand Sifting Star in my 55G and it has been in there for over a year without any issues.... hes moving all over and looks absolutely fine. Now its not a large one... maybe 2" diameter...

Just get the right size for your tank...

With the sleeper goby, its no longer necessary, he does a good job but I will definitely be getting a star at some point in time.

crackedcorn 01-11-2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt101 (Post 901351)
With the sleeper goby, its no longer necessary, he does a good job but I will definitely be getting a star at some point in time.

Is your sleeper sifting and making the water milky (all stirred up)? Some say it's a nightmare some say it's not too bad...

hfp75 01-11-2015 10:33 PM

Depends on your sand???? If you've got OO Lite yes....

And if it's really dirty....

tt101 01-11-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackedcorn (Post 929693)
Is your sleeper sifting and making the water milky (all stirred up)? Some say it's a nightmare some say it's not too bad...

No, not at all. He used to keep the surface of the sand pure white and prevented anything from growing on the sand or any debris to build up. He was a really interesting guy to watch. Unfortuantely my 2 clowns were *******s and wouldn't let him sift all areas of the tank and by the time I realized...it was too late. I had one in my 75 gallon salt and he was in there for a while. Never had issues with him at all in terms of milky water.

Now I am too scared to put anything else in the tank, so the sand is nasty and needs cleaning every once in a while.

albert_dao 01-12-2015 12:53 AM

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh... I've always thought of sand as an unnecessary evil. Spraypaint the bottom of your tank white. Done.

gmann 01-13-2015 04:43 AM

no sand and you would never get to see the awesomeness of a jawfish :biggrin:

EarthEaterBob 01-13-2015 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 895570)
My thought is that I have never seen a bare bottom ocean. Or sea for that matter. Or lake even. Or river.

If you think the majority of the coral that we keep in our tanks actually get anywhere near sand in their natural environment, you'd be fooling yourself :lol:

That being said, I like sand for the aesthetics. But BB is definitely a ton easier to clean...

Myka 01-13-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leach29 (Post 895546)
I am in the process of setting up a new FOWLR tank. Dims are 72x24x27.

I am curious on everyone's thoughts on sand vs. bare bottom? I have seen lots of bare bottoms recently.

Thanks

What types of fish do you plan to keep? Many large fish, (big Tangs come to mind first) are quite smart and will use their pectoral fins near the sand to flush food out. In the process they move the sand around - some do this A LOT. Most of the FOWLR tanks that I know of personally may as well be barebottom because the fish have moved the sand about so much that half the glass is showing anyway!

If you do want sand, keeping one of the larger sand sifting fish (like Valenciennea sp gobies) really helps to keep the sand much cleaner. They can be a pain in the butt in reef tanks because they bury corals in sand, but they are a must-have in FO tanks imo. Also, choose a larger grain sand so you can vacuum it easier - nothing finer than the Caribsea Special Grade, but not so coarse that it traps food like crushed coral will.

You can go either direction and have a healthy tank. It's more about how much maintenance do you want to do and what look you prefer. Barebottom tanks, if you position your flow right and lift your rocks off the bottom you can do absolutely no vacuuming/bottom siphoning and can incorporate an easy water change system. With sand, you will be (should be) in there vacuuming it every week or two.