Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   130 Gallon Set up and weight? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90623)

ktsalt 10-11-2012 04:59 PM

130 Gallon Set up and weight?

I am thinking of setting up a 130g tank with sump in my living room. Do you think the weight of this setup once completed (over 1500 lbs give or take), can or is this safe in the living room? Can my the beams/floor structure handle such a load?

Aquattro 10-11-2012 05:18 PM

What color is your house?

ktsalt 10-11-2012 05:20 PM

Are you trying to be funny? Colour of my house?

sphelps 10-11-2012 05:28 PM

In general yes but there are things you need to consider.

First is the overall condition of the house structure, it's important to verify things are built to current code regulations and nothing has compromised it's integrity nor has anything degraded.

Second is the type of floor, ie hardwood which can offer additional strength or tile which requires additional consideration to prevent it cracking. Carpet can compress creating an off-level or unstable tank.

Room size is important, I believe current residential code is something like 40 pounds per square foot but this is based on room size and not actually by the square foot. For example 10'x10' room needs to be able to hold 4000lbs dead weight. You have to consider everything that's already in the room and anything you plan on adding in this calculation.

Placement is also key, generally you want such items placed perpendicular to flooring joists and against load bearing or outside walls.

Others can chime in if something I pointed out isn't accurate as it may not be, this is all off the top of my head.

Aquattro 10-11-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsalt (Post 753955)
Are you trying to be funny? Colour of my house?

Yes. Did it work? :) You provided absolutely no info on the floor, the house, the age, what's underneath it, etc. I figure color is as good as anything to work off of -lol

sphelps 10-11-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 753954)
What color is your house?

Let's not get too technical, way too much math involved when you consider color.

Salt2Death 10-11-2012 05:33 PM

How close; to an outside wall, load bearing wall, what is directly under it, can you place across the floor beams instead of with them in direction, base of your stand can also distribute weight,.....

Sent Via The Pirate Ship...

sphelps 10-11-2012 05:34 PM

oh one last thing to consider, this is a forum and offers no accountability. If the tank crashes through your floor you can't say "but the guys on the interweb said it would be fine". :mrgreen:

ktsalt 10-11-2012 05:35 PM

I see...haha. The information you provided on the room size was important and the weight ratio, plus the placement of the tank within the structure. Thank you

ktsalt 10-11-2012 05:36 PM

Now thats funny! lol But your Honour the guy on Canreef said it was safe!