Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Leds (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116906)

The Guy 11-26-2015 10:40 PM

Leds

I'm wondering if I'm the only reefer out there that really has limited knowledge on using leds as to what colors are best at what intensity, you hear comments like blues, super blues, royal blues, purples, greens and reds and on and on it goes are best for this that and the other corals.
Par ratings are a real mystery for me, along with most depth related suggested settings. I've been just setting the intensity to what looks good in the tank and most corals are doing ok, having said all this does anyone out there have any idea on proper led use.
I know a lot depends on what you keep sps, lps, softies etc. dictate colors and settings and that's about the extent of what I know.
Anyone know of a good site to read, is there anything like "Leds for Dummies" out there. :noidea:

WarDog 11-26-2015 10:58 PM

Build My LED has some good information out there, but I forget where to find it now. The owner of the company (forget his name also) went as far as doing some long term research using different spectrums over different areas of the same tank. One of his videos can be found on the BRS YouTube page. His results were published several months ago (again, I don't remember where). Helpful I know, lol. I will try to find links.

kien 11-27-2015 12:01 AM

I can answer only the first part of your question. No, you're not the only reefer with limited knowledge of LEDs. I have never used LEDs on my tank so my knowledge is even more limited than yours! I'm sure this response was just as helpful as WarDogs :lol:

The Guy 11-27-2015 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 971483)
I can answer only the first part of your question. No, you're not the only reefer with limited knowledge of LEDs. I have never used LEDs on my tank so my knowledge is even more limited than yours! I'm sure this response was just as helpful as WarDogs :lol:

LOL!! well it's a start maybe some others will chime in with some info.
thanks guys, :smile:

Myka 11-27-2015 01:18 AM

If you're referring to the retrofit kit in your signature, I don't know anything about that one either. I have a "standard" that I set clients' tanks to which are mostly AI brand. Something like this is typical for say a 24" deep tank.

Blues (of any type) 70-100%
Whites (of any type) 30-50%
UV 10% max
Green 10-15%
Red 5% or less
Purple Around 40%

It's kinda hard to correlate these to your though since I have no idea what the comparative output is.

xenon 11-27-2015 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 971492)
If you're referring to the retrofit kit in your signature, I don't know anything about that one either. I have a "standard" that I set clients' tanks to which are mostly AI brand. Something like this is typical for say a 24" deep tank.

UV 10% max
Green 10-15%
Red 5% or less
Purple Around 40%

It's kinda hard to correlate these to your though since I have no idea what the comparative output is.

Any reason why you say 10% max UV?

We run ours @ 65%. :lol:

Myka 11-27-2015 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenon (Post 971497)
Any reason why you say 10% max UV?

We run ours @ 65%. :lol:

Seems to beat the crap out of LPS over time.

hackerberry 11-27-2015 02:09 AM

Hmm, that explains it. I run mine at 100%.

maron6977 11-27-2015 02:30 AM

Laurie , seen your tank , looks good . Might only suggest peak it into whiter at peak light time . But what do I know !

The Guy 11-27-2015 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myka (Post 971492)

UV 10% max
Green 10-15%
Red 5% or less
Purple Around 40%

Thanks for your info, the retrofit kit seems close to the outputs of the AI's I had on my 90 G, I am running my Blues @ 70% and my whites at 40% right now and may ramp up a few % on both and see how the corals do using that method. Thanks for the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maron6977 (Post 971512)
Laurie , seen your tank , looks good . Might only suggest peak it into whiter at peak light time . But what do I know !

Hey Mark, thanks for your comments, how's the nem doing?