Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Pump Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Quiet Pumps??? Anyone? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63025)

es355lucille 04-05-2010 03:49 AM

Quiet Pumps??? Anyone?

I started off with a Mag 18 and I wanted to increase my return and so I went to a Mag 24. This pump is like a freight train in comparison to the 18. Then I decided I would try the Quiet One 9000......and holy crap we cannot hear ourselves think!! WTF! Please tell me there is a quieter submersible (if possible) pump on the market.

If I have to go with an external it will take some thinking about where to install it. I have very limited room.

Thanks in Advance.

Bloodasp 04-05-2010 04:00 AM

You could try hanging it a few cm off the floor of your sump. Mine is floating being held only by the return pipe.

es355lucille 04-05-2010 04:07 AM

Thanks, I may try that with the Mag 18 pump as it was the best one to date...... I can hold the Quiet One (Hence the word Quiet - don't believe it, its BS) off the bottom and it does not change sound one bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodasp (Post 507923)
You could try hanging it a few cm off the floor of your sump. Mine is floating being held only by the return pipe.

lockrookie 04-05-2010 04:11 AM

i have a quiet one 4000 and i barely hear it.. its quieter than my fluval was... my skimmer on the other hand needs a muffler i did adjust and get it quieter but i think i ned to install some styrofoam in sump area or old pillows lol

es355lucille 04-05-2010 04:21 AM

I am thinking that the quiet one series are going to be the same as the Mag series. The Mag 18 is pretty quiet (not completely) but as soon as you move up in pump size the sound triples or more. My skimmer is run by a Mag 18 and it is really quiet. I was trying to increase my flow from my sump to my display......but I am reconsidering due to noise pollution!! LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockrookie (Post 507929)
i have a quiet one 4000 and i barely hear it.. its quieter than my fluval was... my skimmer on the other hand needs a muffler i did adjust and get it quieter but i think i ned to install some styrofoam in sump area or old pillows lol

shotzee 04-05-2010 02:42 PM

Go with a Eheim. I used to always use Mag pumps but eventually got fed up with the excessive noise and restart issues. I know the initial cost for a Eheim is a lot more but it was well worth it and it will last forever.

Howdy 04-05-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotzee (Post 508000)
Go with a Eheim. I used to always use Mag pumps but eventually got fed up with the excessive noise and restart issues. I know the initial cost for a Eheim is a lot more but it was well worth it and it will last forever.

I love Eheims' pumps myself but I think they are looking for flow in the 1800-2400 gph range.

I am thinking you may have to go to external to get it quieter and in that flow range.

sphelps 04-05-2010 04:40 PM

You can get a Red Dragon Pump in that range and it can be used internal or external. You won't find a quieter pump but unfortunately you probably won't find a pricier one either.

Ian 04-05-2010 04:45 PM

I love ehiem as well and they are silent, can't say anything good about quiet ones and yeah if you need that much flow you can't go wrong with Red Dragon except for the price that is.

shotzee 04-05-2010 04:55 PM

LOL... Yes Howdy that is a good point. I replied to this too early in the morning:)