Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Warming RO water? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41094)

Gools 04-05-2008 11:09 PM

I like the sump idea, only problem is the distance from my RO to sump, would have to travel on the ceiling, then have alot of tubbing in the sump. Would I lose alot of pressure running 50 feet or more of tubing before the water even hits the RO unit?

littlesilvermax 04-06-2008 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gools (Post 315882)
I like the sump idea, only problem is the distance from my RO to sump, would have to travel on the ceiling, then have alot of tubbing in the sump. Would I lose alot of pressure running 50 feet or more of tubing before the water even hits the RO unit?

I tried it with 1/4 RO line, lost a lot of pressure.

I now have 100 feet of 3/8 RO line ($12) and run it in a coil in the sump. It cools my tank and heats the water used for RO. My TDS went down, my fan over my sump runs a lot less, all good stuff.

I highly recommend it.:mrgreen:

Skimmerking 04-06-2008 03:49 AM

Nigel you can always get a heater joint that attaches to your water line before it goes to your membrane. that hook on the copper pipe and its on a gauge to tell you how warm you want the water , works really good i havent tried one yet thou i may once i get back from over sea........

Gools 04-06-2008 03:55 AM

Mike were do you get those, or what are they called, just intrested in reading more on that.

The 3/8 line might be an idea. I'm going to keep checking around and see what I can rig up

Thanks everyone for your inputs

Skimmerking 04-06-2008 04:02 AM

home depot , rona , home hard ware, I think that Cdn tire may have them too....

littlesilvermax 04-06-2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gools (Post 315923)
Mike were do you get those, or what are they called, just intrested in reading more on that.

The 3/8 line might be an idea. I'm going to keep checking around and see what I can rig up

Thanks everyone for your inputs

The 3/8 line is the way to go. You can easily feel the difference in water temp just by touching the in line and the out line with your hand.

If you can't find it for a good price, let me know. I can get it real cheap.

Skimmerking 04-06-2008 09:05 AM

really the 3/8" makes that much of a difference in the water andthe membrane too or just the warmere water

Gools 04-06-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlesilvermax (Post 315918)
I tried it with 1/4 RO line, lost a lot of pressure.

I now have 100 feet of 3/8 RO line ($12) and run it in a coil in the sump. It cools my tank and heats the water used for RO. My TDS went down, my fan over my sump runs a lot less, all good stuff.

I highly recommend it.:mrgreen:

how much pressure did you lose after running the 100 feet of 3/8 line?

littlesilvermax 04-06-2008 11:33 PM

I bought a gauge for my system.

I lost about 20 psi (when the system was running, same psi when it is stopped, of course) with the 1/4 inch line.

The 3/8 line has maybe a 1 psi pressure drop, so from 60 to 59 psi, if even that bad.

Don't do 1/4 line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/8 works perfect, absolutely perfect. The only problem is if you decide to make 100 gallons of water, then my tank drops about 5F in temp. But in normal use it is 100%.

Black Phantom 04-07-2008 02:57 AM

Your pressure loss using a 1/4 inch line versus 1/2 should be almost the same. Being that friction loss is directly tied to flow rate it seems to me that the flow rate for an RO unit is very small. A 50 gallon per day RO unit delivers about .03472 gallons a minute. This translates to a very small pressure loss regardless of the size of your line.