Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tank Leak! - What Silicone to Use? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89107)

Oscar 08-24-2012 05:24 PM

Tank Leak! - What Silicone to Use?

I just got a call from home, the tank is leaking.

This sounds like a joint between two pieces of glass. If that is the case what silicone should I be using and will it work underwater?

I will pick up this thread when I get home....

Cal_stir 08-24-2012 05:27 PM

silicone won't work under water, you could use underwater epoxy as a temp fix.

reefwars 08-24-2012 05:30 PM

drain the tank and seal it but it needs a few days minimun and closer to 2 weeks before i would risk water.

honestly since its leaked once i would drain the tank move the livestock into bins and replace the tank its self.
not worth the risk imo

sphelps 08-24-2012 05:31 PM

Silicone won't work underwater. You'll need to drain the tank and remove the current seal and then run a new bead. What size is the tank? Usually it's better just to replace it.

howdy20012002 08-24-2012 05:32 PM

you will need to find some silicon that doesn't have anti-mildew additive.
I don't think there are anymore brands that you can use that you can buy at a hardware or lumber store anymore as they now all have the anti-mildew additve.
you are going to need to get some from a fish store that is specifically designed for aquariums.
ideally, you should redo the whole seam
however, bare minimum - you will have to drain the tank to at least below the leak
I personally would scrap away all the silicon around where it is leaking with a razor blade - don't cut between the glass just the seal bead running along the inside of the tank.
then apply a seal bead along the area.
wait at least 24 hours and refill the tank.
wish I had better news - it is going to be a pain in the a$$
good luck
Neal

FragIt Dan 08-24-2012 05:49 PM

Here is a thread on the silicone:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88436

Having resealed tanks several times myself, I would replace the tank given the opportunity.

Dan

wickedfrags 08-24-2012 05:51 PM

sure its the tank? Ask them to investigate further, 99% of the time is is something else associated with the tank such a filtration device of some sort

howdy20012002 08-24-2012 06:08 PM

after reading that link from Fragit Dan
apparently you can get aquarium safe stuff at home hardware
just make sure that it says safe for aquariums
Neal

Oscar 08-24-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdy20012002 (Post 739834)
you will need to find some silicon that doesn't have anti-mildew additive.
I don't think there are anymore brands that you can use that you can buy at a hardware or lumber store anymore as they now all have the anti-mildew additve.
you are going to need to get some from a fish store that is specifically designed for aquariums.
ideally, you should redo the whole seam
however, bare minimum - you will have to drain the tank to at least below the leak
I personally would scrap away all the silicon around where it is leaking with a razor blade - don't cut between the glass just the seal bead running along the inside of the tank.
then apply a seal bead along the area.
wait at least 24 hours and refill the tank.
wish I had better news - it is going to be a pain in the a$$
good luck
Neal

Thanks to everyone with the prompt responses. I bailed from work to see if I could solve this, more considered about water damage at this stage.

One minor blessing is that this tank is an AIO and the leak appears to be in the rear chambers. That means I should be able to drain the rear chambers only.

I think I have some aquarium silicone around somewhere. I will have to double check on that.

Oscar 08-24-2012 06:31 PM

I was mistaken, no silicone at home.

I will head to Home Hardware to see if I can find the silicone that Fragit Dan suggested.

A few of you mentioned replacing the tank. Why? Are repairs not successful?

grant