Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Resignation letter wording help (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105705)

spit.fire 03-16-2014 07:31 AM

Resignation letter wording help

so far this is what ive got...

This letter is to let you know that I am resigning from ***************** as of March 17th, 2014. To help make sure that there is a smooth transition after I leave, I will gladly stay on for two weeks ending March 31st, 2014 to assist as best I can.

what i need is to make sure its legally loop hole proof it so that they cant just say see ya on march 17th and not pay me for the 2 weeks

tbh im hoping they will just say see ya on march 17th so i can get paid for the two weeks of not working

SeaHorse_Fanatic 03-16-2014 08:26 AM

Actually I think you want to put down that this is your two weeks notice, not that you are resigning as of March 17th. Giving two weeks notice will be better if you hope to get a good reference letter.

Proteus 03-16-2014 11:32 AM

+1 on two weeks notice

I was fired after giving two.weeks notice and was paid out

toxic111 03-16-2014 03:12 PM

What you have is pretty close to what I have used in the past.

If they want to let you go right away, they have to pay you the 2 weeks anyway.

If you have been with the company for many years you may want to give more notice as well.

It may be worth to google the alberta labour standards to see what they suggest as well.

jtbadco 03-16-2014 03:15 PM

I agree. I'd say 'As of March 17, 2014, I am giving two weeks notice of my resignation from XXXXX.'

paddyob 03-16-2014 03:20 PM

My first thoughts are, if you are worried about just getting the boot, you were probably not really appreciated/liked by your work, not very good at it, or you have done things to **** them off. Not an attack, just been in management before, and that's generally the case. A good worker will be able to work out their notice respectfully. And the employer will let you.

Keep in mind, you lose your reference. Job experience on a resume is priceless. If a new employer interviews you and then find out you left your last job hanging, they probably won't see you as a reliable employee. As in you welched on your notice.

Any job over three months and under a year, one week is all that's required. Under three months. Nothing is required from either party.

I think you should take the high road. But I don't know you personally, so maybe that's a road you are willing to avoid

Go out with dignity. Trying to get let go with paid time, intentionally, kinda lame.

Again. Not a personal attack. You asked for feedback. Just giving you my take.

Good luck.

jorjef 03-16-2014 03:26 PM

In certain positions it happens all the time paddy. Two weeks notice is given, management asks where the person is going to. If their new job is at a competitor or will not be divulged the assumption it is a competitor is implied and the person is shown the door with two weeks pay. Witnessed it many times.

Reef Pilot 03-16-2014 03:49 PM

I've been in mgmt for most of my career, and hired many, many people and also had to deal with resignations and occasionally let people go (hardest part of the job). What I can tell you is that your work record, whether on your resume or not, is most important to any new prospective employer. And gaps do not look good.

So, for sure take the high road. Give them 2 weeks notice or longer (if you are a long time employee). If your employer feels that you are a risk (competitive or other reasons) or negative influence on peer workers, then they may ask you to leave early and pay you the remainder. But no notice will not encourage a good word, if your past employer is called up (even though you don't list them as a reference).

It is not necessary (and often undesirable) to give a reason in your resignation letter. But if possible, you should go on good terms, and reasons like "moving" or "going back to school" or even "switching careers" can ease tensions. A smart employer will want to do an exit interview (by someone other than your immediate supervisor or manager though), and that is your opportunity to give feedback, but still always taking the high road.

Good luck.

paddyob 03-16-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorjef (Post 886604)
In certain positions it happens all the time paddy. Two weeks notice is given, management asks where the person is going to. If their new job is at a competitor or will not be divulged the assumption it is a competitor is implied and the person is shown the door with two weeks pay. Witnessed it many times.

Yup.

The Guy 03-16-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic (Post 886585)
Actually I think you want to put down that this is your two weeks notice, not that you are resigning as of March 17th. Giving two weeks notice will be better if you hope to get a good reference letter.

+1 to this statement for sure, good luck Tyler. :smile: