Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Coralgurls tank build 180 - it's ALIVE (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81842)

Coralgurl 01-08-2012 07:28 PM

Coralgurls tank build 180 - it's ALIVE

Hey everyone, I finally get to have a build thread! This is a bit early to start as i wont be picking up the tank till later this week but I'm so excited, sitting here planning and thinking. I expect to have the tank up and running within the year so loads of time for planning.

As I have only been reefing for less than a year with my 55gl sump less system, I have a LOT to learn going bigger and would like some input on equipment. Currently have the following:

Tunze 9011 skimmer rated to over 200 gl
Mp 10 and 40
Illuminex LEDs and 2x 54 wt t5ho
Hob refugium

Obviously lighting is going to have to change. I really like what the LEDs have done for the tank since adding, I know a lot of you have been switching over, thoughts, pros, cons?

I'm guessing another mp 40...?

In my current set up I've been trying every coral, sorties, lps and sps. Not
much luck with the sps and not sure if I will really get into them (for now) but
obviously want the option.

So....what else should I be looking at?

My other question is flooring. The space where the tank will be going is carpeted, will likely pull it out and tile it. I've read a few threads on tile floors and the concerns...Thoughts?

When we get the tank home, will post pics, have an idea of some of the mods we will need to make.

Thanks and I look forward to all comments and suggestions.

Reefie 01-08-2012 08:01 PM

Oooh.......this sounds exciting! Getting another MP40 would be a good idea, but depending on how much actual flow you're looking to achieve. You might actually be ok with the MP40 and the MP10 that you already have.

I'm gung-ho on LED's, however that will really depend on your budget and if you want the dimming option that the newer units have. I have 2 Illumilux units retro-fitted in my little BC29 plus I added a "few" Ecoxotic Stunner LED strips to fill the area that the Illumilux doesn't reach. I think I honestly went a little overboard on my lighting.

I can't wait to see pics.

Good luck on the build!

Coralgurl 01-08-2012 08:13 PM

I'm running the 10 at 100% and the 40 at about 45%, also have a koralia 750 to move water on the surface and this seems more than enough on the 55. My big issue is getting all water storage out of sight and right now we are debating where to put it. Our basement is partially developed with a bedroom right under where the tank will be. I'd rather have the sump and everything in the basement, but would mean running a lot of extra plumbing. He's talking about an additional cabinet to house the water...hmm.

From what I've seen with the led units, will likely need at least 2 for a 6 ft tank, possibly 3? That gets pricey.... I'm also wondering about controllers, if necessary?

Cal_stir 01-08-2012 10:37 PM

i had a mp10 on a 90g with 3/8" glass, it barely held on and my turbo snail kept knocking it off.

Nano 01-08-2012 10:54 PM

DIY LED kits are probably cheaper in your case, and I assume your tank is probably braced in the center, so the middle light would get a lot of shadows created in the tank if it was the case. If your seriously considering LED I would message Martin about a DIY kit He can throw things together t suite your needs for whether or not you will keep softies/lps/sps, what color requirements you want, dimming, controllers etc. awesome guy to talk to about this. from what I have heard MP40s are awesome but for the money I head a lot of people say Tunze is the way to go. I personally have no clue about that though.

Good Luck I look forward to watching your build!! I will be doing one in a few weeks too!

Coralgurl 01-15-2012 10:29 PM

Well, I got my tank, not the 135, but a brand new 180 gl, plus a sump (don't have the dimensions yet) and metal stand. Tank and stand were delivered yesterday, have 3 very strong guys to thank for safely getting it in the house! I have to pick up the sump from Red Coral this week, its a 5 footer..Thanks to my amazing boyfriend and family who made this happen!!! Hope they continue to support the addiction!

Here's the pics!

tank and stand

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...3/DSC_0666.jpg
left overflow

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...3/DSC_0667.jpg
right overflow

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...3/DSC_0668.jpg

Where it will actually be placed.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...3/DSC_0669.jpg

Coralgurl 01-15-2012 10:34 PM

I went out today to look at wood both for skimming and to place the tank on. Will have to wait until later this week for the boyfriends truck, I really don't want it sitting on the floor. Its all predrilled so we are hoping to start the plumbing this week. I was thinking this would take more time, but may have it going sooner than expected. Water in a month????

I see many of you designing layouts, what program are you using?

Hoping for any suggestions you can offer!

gregzz4 01-15-2012 11:24 PM

I'm not so sure that desk will hold your tank :rolleyes:
But seriously, that's a great lookin' setup so far.
You, IMO, will need more in tank flow than the 3 powerheads you have now, but I'd be inclined to leak test everything first and see how you like it before you buy more.
As far as the tiling goes, I'm the wrong guy to answer it for you, but I do know it's doable as long as it's done right. Otherwise you'll destroy the tiles.
I'm not familiar with your skimmer, but many are over-rated, although some are close. You'll probably end up with around 160g DT plus your sump, so you'll just have to try it and see. It's a good brand, but I know not of it.
Some tips;
-fasten your PVC to the stand to alleviate stress on the glass
-use flexible or 'spaflex' hose where you can to alleviate stress and vibrations
-if your sump is not already baffled, plan it well, then think about it for days. Then plan it again. Many of us wish we had thought it through more our first go 'round
-some members have used 'rare earth' magnets to hold the stand skin on. Works great as far as I have seen
And I'd highly recommend you leak test everything with tap water. Completely fill everything to where it will be and let it sit/run for a day or more. That's a lot of RO water to waste if you have issues :mrgreen:

gregzz4 01-15-2012 11:24 PM

OH, one program out there is Google Sketchup

Coralgurl 01-16-2012 12:13 AM

The desk will be moved, it's not part of the tank :lol:

Leak test will happen once we're ready for water. Thanks for the suggestions on the plumbing. I know nothing about this so I'm reading as much as I can and looking at other builds. Ya, at 2 hours per 5 gallons for ro water, not going to chance filling the tank without testing.

The sump has a top off section, 3 baffles and room to add a refugium. I will post pics once I get it.

We may just leave the carpet and not change it out.

I'm not going to rush out and buy anything at this point, will get everything transferred and then see what needs to be changed/upgraded.

Was so excited last night, couldn't sleep, thinking about everything. I so want to do this right!