Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   South store needed ? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60878)

andestang 02-05-2010 04:35 PM

South store needed ?

Pretty much a straight forward inquiry. Seeing what people think about the possibility of a SW store in the south end of Calgary. Do you think one is needed or sustainable ? Any input appreciated.

Zoaelite 02-05-2010 04:38 PM

As all we have is Elite at the moment (Gold's being a fair treck) and Kobi might actually be leaving Calgary in the future I think something on 130th ave would be perfect.

slough shark 02-05-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoaElite (Post 489281)
As all we have is Elite at the moment (Gold's being a fair treck) and Kobi might actually be leaving Calgary in the future I think something on 130th ave would be perfect.

+1

A store on 130th would be great.

ReeferMush 02-05-2010 05:15 PM

I think it would be awesome to have a store in the deep south cuz there really nothing, maybe we should take a poll and see how many people actually live in the south and would use a south store?

Pescador 02-05-2010 05:54 PM

130th would be great for me.

sphelps 02-05-2010 06:32 PM

Being originally from Calgary and seeing how well Big Als use to do, a south store would definitely do well.

South Calgary is huge and has large market potential for salt water. People in the south don't want to travel to the far north on a regular basis nor do they want to deal with the central stores for many reasons. Golds isn't too bad but it's way on the east side and in a particular area most people would rather avoid. I'd say something between Glenmore and Southland on the west or central side would be best.

Also while specializing in salt has it's advantages you would only be targeting a very small percentage of the aquarium market. 80% of your dry goods could be used for FW as well so to me it makes more sense to go bigger and sell a full range of salt and fresh water livestock and supplies. A salt only store will never really be that successful for this reason. You'll end up with the basic Mom & Pa operation and nothing more, especially with the competition that already exists.

slough shark 02-05-2010 06:35 PM

I'd even sweep the floors every Sunday if there was one near my house.:biggrin:

kien 02-05-2010 06:42 PM

Personally I think MacLeod trail is a more central location for southerners. The Old Big Al's location on MacLeod and Heritage was awesome. A little further south would be even better I think. How about the old Petcetera location??? I think it is still up for grabs :biggrin:

oo oo, i know! In Avenida mall!!

Delphinus 02-05-2010 07:31 PM

I'm backing Kien up on this one. 130th Av would be better than nothing but I think hung off Macleod Trail would better serve both people coming from the eastern and western directions.

Nothing I haven't really said before about 100 times or more but I guess I'll say it again, the south end of the city is hugely under-represented demographically, and I think it would see solid business.

Do it! For goodness sakes, someone, do it!

andestang 02-05-2010 08:06 PM

Location is where I'm really at. I have alot of things are in place, but determining where to locate is the biggest stress as this could obviously make or break a go of it. Also as for what will be in store is also another decision I'm thinking about. So some input here would also be appreciated.