Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Wood Vs Steel (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99483)

kien 07-26-2013 11:12 PM

True. I think the moral of this thread is that no matter what material you choose, so long as it is sufficiently coated with a water resistant paint, the stand will likly out last ones interest in the hobby :-)

Basile 07-26-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 834314)
True. I think the moral of this thread is that no matter what material you choose, so long as it is sufficiently coated with a water resistant paint, the stand will likly out last ones interest in the hobby :-)

Please don't tell me that i'm putting a few thousand into this project lol ; its my semi retirement gift to myself, something to tinker , and old passion of my youths...lol:biggrin:

ScubaSteve 07-27-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basile (Post 834316)
Please don't tell me that i'm putting a few thousand into this project lol ; its my semi retirement gift to myself, something to tinker , and old passion of my youths...lol:biggrin:

Ha, ok, we'll tell you you aren't going to put anew thousand into the tank... You'll come back to us later and tell us you did. It's inevitable:mrgreen: I've learned to just stop counting (and I'm a poor, frugal student). It's a hobby that I really enjoy, so I've stopped caring about the cost as much.

I'll echo what others have said: as long as you've coated the stand with a decent waterproof paint, you're good to good for a long time. At work I conduct experiments with fairly caustic solution (2.2M sodium carbonate) that pretty much insta-rusts steel and I get spills constantly. My whole experimental apparatus is mounted to a steel frame stand. I painted it with blue Krylon paint and 4.5 years later, no rust.

Basile 07-27-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve (Post 834334)
Ha, ok, we'll tell you you aren't going to put anew thousand into the tank... You'll come back to us later and tell us you did. It's inevitable:mrgreen: I've learned to just stop counting (and I'm a poor, frugal student). It's a hobby that I really enjoy, so I've stopped caring about the cost as much.

I'll echo what others have said: as long as you've coated the stand with a decent waterproof paint, you're good to good for a long time. At work I conduct experiments with fairly caustic solution (2.2M sodium carbonate) that pretty much insta-rusts steel and I get spills constantly. My whole experimental apparatus is mounted to a steel frame stand. I painted it with blue Krylon paint and 4.5 years later, no rust.

lol ok thanks lol, oh i know about the cost but the its the starting cost thats worst, the rest is maintenance, and upgrades, thats normal, i don't drink or smoke , thats my income for the tank, boose and smokes thats a fair size amount per year, lol , the occasional wine don't count, and two glasses and i'm done, lol. The fishes will get drunk before me on vodka lol. Thanks guys....

The Grizz 07-27-2013 11:55 AM

STEEL all the way!!!

reeferfulton 07-27-2013 05:59 PM

I voted steel .
I like steel stands as if designed right they give you extra room under the tank for equipment etc.

The downside to steel stands IMO is that they are more difficult to skin/wrap.
and much more difficult to add little shelves , or clamps or modify in anyway once your tank is running.

Zoaelite 07-27-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 834279)
The wood stands you typically buy at LFSs aren't really wood at all being that they are made from MDF which has no business near water. It'll swell and bow over time. Metal stands will likely rust but it's pretty superficial surface rust and it won't effect strength. So typically metal out lasts wood but metal stands can be harder and more expensive to dress so price wise I wouldn't say metal is cheaper.

Couldn't agree more, tore my previous 65g down because a mini flood inside the stand caused the MDF to swell, crack and bulge out. I've used metal on ever stand since then with great results.