Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Aquaforest reef salt (non-probiotic) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=121891)

patpare 12-31-2016 01:02 PM

Aquaforest reef salt (non-probiotic)

I'm just wondering if anyone on canreef has had any issu's with this salt or did I get get a bad batch👎

I'm asking this question due to me losing all of my sps's when I switched over from RC to Aquaforest!

Myka 12-31-2016 01:05 PM

What happened? Which salt did you use before? Alkalinity is lower in this salt than many others. Have you experienced an alkalinity swing?

I know dozens of people using this salt. I've gone through 4 buckets myself.

warriorcookie 12-31-2016 02:36 PM

wow.

Did you test the salt for Ca, Alk and Mg after mixing the first time? What were the results?

What are your tank params at now?

What salt were you using before?

Are you sure they're lost and not just bleached?

Ryanerickson 12-31-2016 02:56 PM

Salt works great for me and others I know. Actually I highly recommend it. Mixes great and my hand no longer crack apart and dry out when I put them in the water.

GoFish 01-02-2017 11:36 PM

How many water changes, what percent was changed at a time, and over the course of how many days/hours did it take for you to make the switch?

DKoKoMan 01-03-2017 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpare (Post 1004967)
I'm just wondering if anyone on canreef has had any issu's with this salt or did I get get a bad batch👎

I'm asking this question due to me losing all of my sps's when I switched over from RC to Aquaforest!

This makes me nervous as I was looking at making the switch from Reef Crystals when I transfer over to the 150g as the price is comparable. I'm interested to find out what parameter was greatly effected to cause the SPS loss.

WarDog 01-03-2017 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKoKoMan (Post 1005131)
This makes me nervous.

Don't be. It's a great salt.

Myka 01-03-2017 01:43 PM

FWIW, I haven't cracked a pail from the salt that came from the Canadian Distributor, I just finished my last pail from Amazon, so these would be different batches. I have a pail of Probiotic for my own tank from the Canadian Distributor that I'll be using as soon as I do a waterchange. I am also doing a new tank install on Friday and I'll be using a pail of Reef Salt also from the Canadian Distributor for that. I'll let you know how that goes! :eek: :p

Pat, where did you get your salt? Amazon or a Canadian retailer? What is the batch number and date of manufacture of your salt? You'll find this info on the "Quality Certificate" in the pail.

DKoKoMan 01-03-2017 01:49 PM

Well I won't rule it out.

Skimmer Juice 01-03-2017 03:35 PM

reef crystals is usually pretty high in parameters so easy to cause a swing if doing a large water change with a new salt.