Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Should I wait ... or should I play with chemistry? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92705)

Proteus 12-19-2012 03:37 PM

Orp is a tricky subject. I once dug into it and really I don't bother. As long as water quality is good. Nitrate phosphate. Cal alk mg. it's all good. Some coral like high flow some like less. Same as light. I grow sps and a few lps. Due to high light and great water my sps out grows lps 10 to 1. Try moving pices to different areas as long as you have good polyp extension then let time do its thing. Also IMO ozone is good but not a huge factor for me. Orp can and will drop and raise through out the day.

kien 12-19-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 775009)
Orp is a tricky subject. I once dug into it and really I don't bother. As long as water quality is good. Nitrate phosphate. Cal alk mg. it's all good. Some coral like high flow some like less. Same as light. I grow sps and a few lps. Due to high light and great water my sps out grows lps 10 to 1. Try moving pices to different areas as long as you have good polyp extension then let time do its thing. Also IMO ozone is good but not a huge factor for me. Orp can and will drop and raise through out the day.

+1 one. I have had an Orp probe on my tank for 3 years and have watched to go from 300 to 450 all in a matter of a day without any noticeable changes in my tank. Some days it'll sit at the low end, sometimes it will sit at the high end. I've read up on it as well and still don't really understand what the heck ORP is telling me LOL.

lastlight 12-19-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seriak (Post 774976)
I did weekly water changes (Reef crystals), but it was not enough to get the extra Mg boost I needed.

Strangely enough when i used RC on my 97 and 404 I rarely ever used any of my Mg chems. It was always at 1400 but I was never sure how lol.

Seriak 12-19-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 775020)
Strangely enough when i used RC on my 97 and 404 I rarely ever used any of my Mg chems. It was always at 1400 but I was never sure how lol.

Yeah, I have read about RC having MG levels anywhere from 1000 to 1450 over the last few years.

lastlight 12-19-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seriak (Post 775031)
Yeah, I have read about RC having MG levels anywhere from 1000 to 1450 over the last few years.

and undetectable levels of liquid death apparently.

Proteus 12-19-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 775015)
+1 one. I have had an Orp probe on my tank for 3 years and have watched to go from 300 to 450 all in a matter of a day without any noticeable changes in my tank. Some days it'll sit at the low end, sometimes it will sit at the high end. I've read up on it as well and still don't really understand what the heck ORP is telling me LOL.

Basically it's a measure of good vs bad. 350 450 is a good range. But really if it goes to high or low you would probably know without a meter. Ozone is o3. So if you have good o2 in tank it should already be oxidizing the filth in tank. H202 is another way to raise orp.

kien 12-19-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titus99 (Post 775035)
Basically it's a measure of good vs bad

ya that's pretty much all I got out of reading the various articles about ORP. :lol: