Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   lastlight's 97 (lights out) (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67366)

lastlight 08-20-2010 05:58 AM

lastlight's 97 (lights out)

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/sol...fore_after.jpg

Delphinus 08-20-2010 06:14 AM

Not only that, but the word on the black painting above the tank totally changed too!!

lastlight 08-20-2010 06:19 AM

Haha. Smartass.

Zoaelite 08-20-2010 07:01 AM

Are you moving it outside?

parkinsn 08-20-2010 02:10 PM

Your couch seems to be missing as well.

Trabby 08-20-2010 02:37 PM

Creepy..... Where could it have gone? Hopefully it has just hidden in a closet to
Molt.. Soon it will emerge bigger and shinier... :)

lockrookie 08-20-2010 03:10 PM

i think it is the mouse that put the hole in the wall sucked it up in to a vortex and all his buddies are swimming in a therapudic salt tub.

Leah 08-20-2010 03:40 PM

Lostlight?

Lance 08-20-2010 04:36 PM

Alien abduction? With that light it looks kinda space-shippy! Maybe E.T stole it to get home.

fishoholic 08-20-2010 04:45 PM

I don't know, I think I like the before better then the after :razz:

Although if it comes back bigger and better, that's always a good thing :biggrin:

globaldesigns 08-20-2010 04:48 PM

Hmmmm, I do prefer the Before Pic, not to happy with the After.

lastlight 08-20-2010 10:40 PM

Well I found it. The thing was just around the corner.

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/solana/kitchen.jpg

The real mystery now is how an empty spot has survived a whole day in the living room without my wife putting something there.

lastlight 08-21-2010 05:30 AM

Well you guys are no fun.

Let's just get on with it shall we?

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/97/stand1.jpg

Zoaelite 08-21-2010 05:33 AM

Its... So much bigger :razz:. How long until you put the tank on it?

lastlight 08-21-2010 05:41 AM

Right after it gets fixed. I bought the display and sump off Jay and clumsy me chipped the front bottom corner badly on a tie-off anchor in the bed of my truck.

Wed night is the big night. We're putting an inner eurobrace in the front and he's also going to demo his glass scratch removal skillaz as there are a few on the left side. Assuming the fix goes well and the cure is fast (should be) I'll have things transferred very quickly! Jay is the man btw. He offered to replace the entire front pane and front eurobrace for free but I suggested the inner bracing as it should be much easier for him and in my opinion make the tank even stronger than before.

Tank btw is 36L x 24W x 26H

The sump has a nice 36" long fuge area which I may or may not put some chaetoBalls in. What I do plan to do just like with the 225 is dedicate that portion of the sump as water change space. A pump will sit in there always and I'll flip a switch and drain 10gallons and then pump from a 10 gallon downstairs to replenish and then bring the compartment back online.

All hardware from the old tank will be moved over as well. Tunze 9002 will be swapped for an SWC Xtreme 160 and the modded Tunze 6025 will be joined by 3 more.

Also, my terrible luck with fish continues. After draining the tank halfway and setting it on furniture moving sliders Tony and I (thx dude!) slid her around the corner. Now I haven't seen my blenny I am ****ed! The move was so fast and easy but maybe he was spooked and jumped last night?

Tony also demoed his glass drilling skillaz as we added a second hole into the side of my external overflow. Thanks mang!

ALBERTA REEF 08-21-2010 05:49 AM

After all this work You will be saying! I should of got a bigger tank! :lol:

lastlight 08-21-2010 06:01 AM

Lol I think this is pushing the LIMIT of what this tired and twisted old floor can hold. It may end up as a basement install if too many people gather round!

ALBERTA REEF 08-21-2010 06:05 AM

How about flood the basement for one big tank. The wife won't mind.:twised:

mytank90 08-21-2010 07:39 AM

nice size tank ,you will have to tell me how good the swc 160 works .bine looking at getting one for my tank :lol:

andestang 08-21-2010 01:34 PM

So the upgrade has happened, thats awesume :) Are you planning on keeping both tanks running ? What do you have up your sleeve for lighting ?

Skimmerking 08-21-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 543056)
Lol I think this is pushing the LIMIT of what this tired and twisted old floor can hold. It may end up as a basement install if too many people gather round!

Wait a minute Brett the old twisted floor come on aren't you in a new house there you could easly put a 230 There if you wanted to

lastlight 08-21-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andestang (Post 543069)
So the upgrade has happened, thats awesume :) Are you planning on keeping both tanks running ? What do you have up your sleeve for lighting ?

No everything from the Solana is migrating over. Adding new skimmer and more powerheads. I have no doubt the single 250w will be good for now. I may install a pair of actinics later so I can have some sort of lighting on longer. I'm only up to 5 hrs a day with the 250 hqi and a few corals are still in light shock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 543090)
Wait a minute Brett the old twisted floor come on aren't you in a new house there you could easly put a 230 There if you wanted to

That was the old house man. We had to sell everything when the wife got sick so we're in an old condo complex now. Crooked 2x8 floor joists rather than engineered laminated joists these days. To give you an idea, when I put the wall shelf up when we moved in here and i did the wall anchor to secure it level to the wall...I could place my thumb under the front of the shelf! The floor has some mean dips! I did put a jackpost in front of the Solana and think it will be good for this tank too. This stand is a good old 2x4 box unlike the Solana 4-legger too. I can already tell things will be much more stable even with kids pressed to the glass and jumping around.

Lance 08-21-2010 04:56 PM

Nice acquisition Brett. What skimmer are you thinking?

lastlight 08-21-2010 08:28 PM

Swc extreme 160. I Went for the cheaper vertex in-100 without measuring my sump. Got lucky and was able to cancel before it shipped after I bothered to measure!

Got the tank back all painted up this morning. Black of course!

fishoholic 08-22-2010 12:26 AM

YAY bigger and better that's the way to go :mrgreen:

Delphinus 08-22-2010 05:23 AM

Blenny still MIA? That's odd. Maybe in the backpack part of the tank? You'd think you'd notice if he'd have jumped out... Hopefully he turns up in the tank at some point.

Stand and sump's looking awesome so far!

lastlight 08-22-2010 07:55 AM

I have that hairy feline family member now Tony. I think she got the jumper or maybe in sliding the tank he got spooked/wedged in some hole and perishes or rocks shifted on his cute lil self? Back compartment is fish free unfortunately.

lastlight 08-23-2010 05:15 AM

Well the tank's on the stand now. It's all cleaned up and all the front bits of silicone as well as the bottom going back 4" has been removed (not the seams just the inner part). A 4" wide inner eurobrace is going in on the bottom front on Wednesday and new vertical silicone will be applied and a few scratches removed. The overflow area will be covered with a piece of black acrylic mounted to the inside of the tank.

Can't wait to get this thing filled!

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/97/tank1.jpg

Funky_Fish14 08-23-2010 05:30 AM

Ooh Brett this looks sexy!

What are your plans for finishing the stand?

Zoaelite 08-23-2010 05:32 AM

WOW, like always Jay did a killer job. Can't wait to see that thing stocked Brett!

abcha0s 08-23-2010 05:35 AM

The tank looks really nice. I guess that's one way of solving your heat issues :smile:

lastlight 08-23-2010 05:51 AM

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Fish14 (Post 543462)
What are your plans for finishing the stand?

Well since I'm not good with working with wood in the craftsman sense and I am in fact doing wood this time I'll make sure it looks good before I say! It wil be pretty simple tho: just skinning with 1/2" standard plywood, 2 or 3 inch ledge around the the tank's bottom (won't see bottom seam). The canopy will be joined to the stand with a rear portion that hides the rear seams. Basically the only seams showing with be the front two...sorta like a built-in. Plan to paint with a white/creamy colour.

FlamesFan's 25g tank/stand is my partial inspiration here but mine won't look 1/10th as nice!

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67205

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoaElite (Post 543464)
WOW, like always Jay did a killer job. Can't wait to see that thing stocked Brett!

Yeah there isn't an edge not mitred and polished on the tank or sump. Even the bottom of the baffles have curved cuts it is pretty sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcha0s (Post 543465)
The tank looks really nice. I guess that's one way of solving your heat issues :smile:

Yeah I took that 'add more volume' advice to heart didn't I? I think this is it for upgrades while I'm living here tho as I'm not bothering with a basement reno while we're here. When I am in a house again though...gears will turn =)

lastlight 08-25-2010 08:15 PM

Well my SWC 160 came today. Super fast service by Oceanic Corals / SWC as it came a day earlier than even they said!

I have it running in my salt mixing bucket (with water/vinegar) which I guess I forgot to clean out. The brown film that is leftover after I do a waterchange is all boiling away on the surface of the head of foam after 5 min! So already I'm pleased and it's not even installed lol.

Anyone running this skimmer mind telling me what's up with the machined piece of white plastic that came inserted into the pump's intake end? It just loosely seats in there...I have it in right now.

lastlight 08-28-2010 07:31 PM

So I just finished filling the tank and sump. Was about to power on the eheim to give it a whirl. What's that sitting in the back of the sump? Oh it's just the Osmolator controller. I set it back there so the kids wouldn't touch it. It's underwater...oh bonus!

It wasn't turned on so I think I'll be able to save it. Full rinse in a bucket of ro/di and the cover is off and it's going to dry out for a few days before I check it out. I cursed pretty loudly and the wife thought the tank had a leak.

GRRR...

Good news is the tank and sump hold water and none of my bulkheads or pipes leak. Tank's still dead level too.

Oh I almost forgot...I tipped over my can of pvc glue (the grey crap) in the MIDDLE of the living room carpet last night. That was a 60 minute 'break' from plumbing. Miraculously you can barely see where it pooled but I deserve awards for the messes I make in my haste.

Skimmerking 08-28-2010 10:47 PM

Brett put it in a bag of Rice and seal the bag

Doug 08-28-2010 10:59 PM

:lol: Brett. I dumped mine in the middle of the vinyl floor.

Not sure what white pvc part you are referring to unless its the outlet from the pump to the outside of the skimmer? Great skimmer though. You going to love it. I think I may invest in one of those carbon caps though as it just reeks in my sump compartment. My wife gives me what for all the time.

lastlight 08-28-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 544645)
Brett put it in a bag of Rice and seal the bag

Oh good call I'll do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 544646)
:lol: Brett. I dumped mine in the middle of the vinyl floor.

Not sure what white pvc part you are referring to unless its the outlet from the pump to the outside of the skimmer? Great skimmer though. You going to love it. I think I may invest in one of those carbon caps though as it just reeks in my sump compartment. My wife gives me what for all the time.

My very first reef ever...I spilled the primer in the middle of a new lino floor. I spent about an hour shaving the top layer off of the floor wherever it had sprayed and then picked closest match pencil crayons from the arts cupboard and filled in the now white areas. My wife always wondered 'wtf' i guess when her feet would sorta run on that non-smooth area. I told her before we moved what had happened!

Yeah the skimmer test I did in bucket was awesome. I plugged it in in the sump today (i ahd taken out that machined white piece in the skimmer pump intake) and all it would do was fill with water and no air. i put it back in and you could tell it was working properly (even tho it's just fw).

Doug 08-28-2010 11:13 PM

Mine skimmed even in the laundry sink in fresh water with some vinegar. :lol:

Delphinus 08-29-2010 12:14 AM

When I was making the canopy for my old 72g bowfront I kicked over a can of white oil based paint on the carpet in the room I was working on. Turpentine and a shop vac (admittedly, probably not a great idea anyhow) at 1am. That was a classic "WTF are you doing" discussion with the wife. :lol:

Good luck with the controller. I would suspect it will be OK once it dries out.

When I was in Maui a few years ago, I would keep forgetting to take the car key fob out of my swim suit pocket before going snorkeling. At least 3 times that thing made it into the ocean, but it seemed to stay working... :redfaace:

lastlight 08-29-2010 01:04 AM

Yeah I hope you're right. Since the 34g is around the corner I decided not to try and connect my topoff bucket to it so I'm been manually doing it when I think to. I totally hate this and it's not stable either. I consider it an essential piece of equipment and I can't afford to replace it if it's gone bust-ville.

I think we've all had these mishaps haha. We should compile some sort of book. foreward by lance.