Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Explanation please (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124004)

strezman 08-08-2017 02:49 AM

Explanation please

I have some bubble algae and was thinking about getting an emerald crab or two in hopes they might help combat the problem. So please explain..when bubble algae is popped it releases spores which contributes to more bubble algae. When an emerald crab eats the bubble algae do they not pop it? Thanks in advance!

WarDog 08-08-2017 05:25 AM

Yup. Pretty much. I am shutting down my system because of bubble algae. It's almost impossible to completely remove. Good luck.

strezman 08-08-2017 08:24 PM

Geez that's encouraging lol.. damn

hackerberry 08-08-2017 08:49 PM

I cleaned up my infestation with blasting the bubble algae with boiling water. I turn off all of the circulation pump then blast them with boiling water from a syringe. I use at least 200ml every day. You will see them turn white right away or the next day.

604reefer 08-08-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strezman (Post 1016738)
I have some bubble algae and was thinking about getting an emerald crab or two in hopes they might help combat the problem. So please explain..when bubble algae is popped it releases spores which contributes to more bubble algae. When an emerald crab eats the bubble algae do they not pop it? Thanks in advance!

How much is there?

When I was a total newb I didn't know what bubble algae was and I brought home a bubble coral... At night I noticed all these little bubbles on it. So I picked them off carefully - just rolled em off with my index finger gently. Found out later it was bubble algae, but it didn't propagate. If you have a ton then other methods might work better...

Bugger 08-08-2017 09:57 PM

Emareld crab will only eat the smaller sized ones

Cujo#31 08-08-2017 10:10 PM

May or may not work, not sure, but I use the "wonder juice" more commonly known as Muriatic Acid on anything biological I don't want in my tank. Works wonders on Aiptasia and Majano if you can get to them. Found at any Canadian Tire in paint department.
Turn off all circ and return pumps and apply direct to infected area. You might have to shield any coral that may be exposed to the acid as it gasses off, but it works well. I'd say carefully pull some bubble off a rock and dose it in a separate container to see if the bubbles rupture, or if they just shrivel up and die.
Muriatic acid gasses off very quickly and does not impact Ph or other levels like some other treatments will. Just be careful, anything in the direct path of any gas-off bubbles will also be exposed to the acid.

albert_dao 08-09-2017 01:52 AM

I also use muriatic to dispose of... Organic material.

strezman 08-09-2017 02:43 AM

It's beginning to get bad so there's no way i can manually remove them all. Might try this boiling water method first as it seems very simple. Then onto the next method if that doesn't work. Bubble algae sucks! Thanks for the help.

duncangweller 08-09-2017 05:28 AM

Im with wardog. The only way I was able to get rid of a bubble algae outbreak was to shut down the tank, bleach and acid bath my rock, re cycle and then start fresh.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk