Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Garlic kills invertebrates? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56961)

mitchelljared 10-18-2009 02:53 AM

Garlic kills invertebrates?

So I've been soaking my fish's food in garlic and other additives for a while now, but have started noticing other "coincidences" that maybe someone can shed light on. So I use about a mL or two or garlic in with the food, let it soak for an hour or so, then wash it all out with freshwater, over and over till it barely smells of garlic. Then I use that food. We have had a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp both appear fine one minute, then about 10 mins after the feeding...they ended up dead. Maybe it's coincidence, and maybe they get a good whiff of the garlic and croak. Also some of the corals (bubble, xenia, etc) retract after the feeding, but always recover. Normal?
Thanks in advance.

banditpowdercoat 10-18-2009 03:39 AM

I feed garlic directly to my tanks. No ill effects. I don't rinse it after soaking either. Defronst food, soak Selcon and Garlic, then fed the works.

Coleus 10-18-2009 04:46 AM

Go

i also don't have any problem with my invertables that taking food soak in garlic
________
LadyNight18

bvlester 10-18-2009 06:10 AM

I have an angel that will not eat anything with garlic well I read the instructions on the extreem garlic. You can add it right to your water 1 drop per 10 gallons they all get garlic now, It's in the water. I have not lost anything from it yet but the sea hair dose not like it.

Bill

fishytime 10-18-2009 02:41 PM

Ok ....this is probably gonna cause a stir but....I cant remember where I heard or read it, but they think that prolonged feeding of garlic soaked foods may cause liver damage in fish....I only feed with garlic soaked foods a couple time a week...more when I introduce a fish or if there is something wrong with one of my fishies.....as for it harming inverts...Ive never seen a connection between feeding garlic and invert problems

chris121277 10-18-2009 03:29 PM

I have been feeding garlic soaked food every other day for a year now with no ill effects.......in fact that's the only way I can get my CCB and Mandarin to eat frozen food.

fishytime 10-18-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris121277 (Post 455959)
I have been feeding garlic soaked food every other day for a year now with no ill effects.......in fact that's the only way I can get my CCB and Mandarin to eat frozen food.

Not to be a jerk but, you can see if your fish have liver damage?:wink::p

chris121277 10-18-2009 03:41 PM

Well no.....but if you are feeding garlic a couple times a week then thats about the same as me...lol (I was just implying "so far so good")

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 455961)
Not to be a jerk but, you can see if your fish have liver damage?:wink::p

naesco 10-18-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchelljared (Post 455878)
So I've been soaking my fish's food in garlic and other additives for a while now, but have started noticing other "coincidences" that maybe someone can shed light on. So I use about a mL or two or garlic in with the food, let it soak for an hour or so, then wash it all out with freshwater, over and over till it barely smells of garlic. Then I use that food. We have had a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp both appear fine one minute, then about 10 mins after the feeding...they ended up dead. Maybe it's coincidence, and maybe they get a good whiff of the garlic and croak. Also some of the corals (bubble, xenia, etc) retract after the feeding, but always recover. Normal?
Thanks in advance.

What is the brand or type or garlic you are using?

Marlin65 10-18-2009 04:38 PM

Thats interesting.
Maybe I better cut back a bit then I add probably more than I should.
I never had a problem with any of my inverts or corals.
Rinsing under tap water might be a problem. Or maybe you have a bad batch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishytime (Post 455948)
Ok ....this is probably gonna cause a stir but....I cant remember where I heard or read it, but they think that prolonged feeding of garlic soaked foods may cause liver damage in fish....I only feed with garlic soaked foods a couple time a week...more when I introduce a fish or if there is something wrong with one of my fishies.....as for it harming inverts...Ive never seen a connection between feeding garlic and invert problems