Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   need some input (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110982)

wreck 12-19-2014 02:49 AM

need some input

Hey everyone. Does anyone have a tank set up in their furnace room?. I currently have my set up built into the wall but on my access side its my furnace room. Im a little worried if sw will corrode or be hazardous to anything in the furnace room?

Thanks.

mike31154 12-19-2014 03:24 AM

Hard to say without a tad more detail, such as, is it the basement, photos? As a good rule of thumb, a little ventilation goes a long way! I have plans for a basement sump which will be in the general vicinity of my furnace. Furnace or no, I'll need to think about ventilation, humidity, etc.

wreck 12-19-2014 03:27 AM

I will get some photos. Its in the basement, furnace, air exchanger and electric box and water heater in there. I dont have a door on the room. Virtually everything is at opposite end of the tank and sump

mike31154 12-19-2014 03:38 AM

I'm no HVAC expert, but if you have an air exchanger you should be ok with respect to ventilation. Still, a bit of additional ventilation in the basement to keep the humidity down may be a good idea. If the components you're concerned about are a good distance away, then a bit of salty humidity at the other end of the room shouldn't be a huge concern. But I'm just guessing here, hard to gauge without seeing the set up. Age of your home & overall air tightness will determine if additional ventilation is required. Saskatchewan winters are typically pretty dry (air wise). The house may actually benefit from a bit more humidity.

wreck 12-19-2014 03:44 AM

Thank you for the replies!!

e46er 12-19-2014 03:53 AM

Im a heating guy.... I wouldn't worry so much about your furnace as I would your electrical panel..... my tank has rusted out my fireplace louves 15 feet away in 2 years.
I'd install a bath fan or someth I ng if possible and put it on a humidistat or timer to clear out the excess humidity.

No matter how you look at it salt or not water water will produce humidity which is bad for electrical components- your panel and all the wiring in the furnace
The duct work will rust over time as well. Get some type of ventilation in the room. What type of furnace and hwt do you have? If not direct vent you can't exhaust air out as a negative pressure will draw products of combustion into your house.
PM me for further questions or details.

wreck 12-19-2014 04:05 AM

Hey the furnace I have is a high effiecient vented out the wall. The hot water heater is a gas high efficient vented out the wall.
I will def pm you thanks!!

mark 12-19-2014 01:16 PM

Have my sump and fuge in the same room as my furnace/HRV/HWT/panel and only corrosion noticed since the install in early 2006 is salt buildup and pitting on the return duct directly above the sump (return/skimmer area so bubbles) and on a fan motor directly above the fuge but all within about 2 feet of the water surface.

Nothing on the return duct a foot over from the sump, on the copper pipes with the HWT and AC, electrical or even cheap tools also in the room, but then room is probably more than 100sqft.

Am a little concerned went measuring out the salt from the dust cloud, so will do away from furnace and go slow.

corpusse 12-19-2014 01:40 PM

I had my 180 in my furnace room for about 4-5 months as I redid the basement floor. No issues other then it was a real tight fit. No electrical panel though. It was nice the utility sink was only a couple of feet away!

CM125 12-19-2014 02:18 PM

+1 on the panel, doesn't take long to build up enough humidity to start rusting the breaker screws. Should be easy to install a bathroom fan in there though.