Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   FOWLR (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Snowflakes growing in my tanks. (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66785)

DNoakes 07-29-2010 05:06 PM

Snowflakes growing in my tanks.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,
I have these snowflake like things growing on my tank glass. They started shortly after introducing a couple hundred pounds of live rock. They are currently about 2-3mm across and have perfectly uniform tenticles reaching out from the center. I have a picture of it and am attaching it to this post. In the picture due to the size and the focus ability of my camera the tenticles are not visible but the bulk of the body and shape are visible.
Does anyone know what it is and if it is a good or bad thing to have in my tank? I am running mainly fish only but have also some soft coral and anemonaes.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
thank you,
DNoakes.

paddyob 07-29-2010 05:12 PM

Hmm

Are they flat on the glass? If so don't worry about them too much. I had something similar at one point and they ended up either being eaten by the fish or just disappearing. I am not sure where they went but they are gone.

DNoakes 07-29-2010 05:17 PM

yeah they are perfectly flat. I was wondering if they might be a hydroid? Not sure what hydroids are and not sure if they are good or bad. I have a shipment of starfish and urchins coming in and am worried about introducing them into that tank.

ALang 07-29-2010 05:49 PM

Not hydroids, but star fishes that came in with your live rock. I had them too, but disappearred after a while...eaten by fish or died. Usually pretty harmless.

DNoakes 07-29-2010 06:08 PM

Okay these things are creeping me out. They just started swimming around the tank like jelly fish. There are thousands of them.

ScubaSteve 07-29-2010 06:20 PM

My guess is that they are jellyfish. Jellyfish start out as polyps similar to what you saw on your glass and then release several offspring from a single polyp. If they are free swimming I woouldn't worry too much about your urchins and starfish. I'd be more concerned about your corals/fish. But since these are babies they won't really pack a huge sting, in fact, some of your fish might eat them depending on what you have. Take a picture! I wanna see, I wanna see!

Zoaelite 07-29-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve (Post 538418)
My guess is that they are jellyfish. Jellyfish start out as polyps similar to what you saw on your glass and then release several offspring from a single polyp. If they are free swimming I woouldn't worry too much about your urchins and starfish. I'd be more concerned about your corals/fish. But since these are babies they won't really pack a huge sting, in fact, some of your fish might eat them depending on what you have. Take a picture! I wanna see, I wanna see!

+1, the life cycle of a jelly fish is really fascinating but they tend to die very easily in captivity so I would love to see some photos!

DNoakes 07-29-2010 07:01 PM

Does anyone know if there is any fish or invert that will eat Jellyfish?

DNoakes 07-29-2010 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted an attachment to my original post. It shows one pic of one of the jellyfish I will upload another pic with this message.

DNoakes 07-29-2010 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another pic as an attachment of the Jellyfish in my tank.