Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   To feed or Not to feed SPS (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90710)

NIVLEM09 10-13-2012 08:46 PM

To feed or Not to feed SPS

what is your take on this?do you feed your SPS corals?if so,with what,frequency?i would like to know as i have acquired a taste for keeping these beautiful animals...opinions,suggestions will be greatly appreciated:razz:

ScubaSteve 10-13-2012 09:43 PM

In all the scientific papers I've read, SPS actually derive much of their calories from captured prey, not photosynthesis and fish poop like many people thinks they do. That said they can also survive on just light and detritus, though you'll have more vigorous growth and healthier corals if they are capturing prey.

If you have a mature tank, they could capture micro fauna that thrives in the tank but you can also feed a powdered feed. I use coral frenzy and reefroids when I remember but I try to ,imit how much I use it because if you over feed it, it just rots in the tank if it's not eaten or removed with the skimmer.

monocus 10-14-2012 02:09 AM

feeding sps

i feed 3 types of phytoplankton and rotifers that i grow+a bit of live brine shrimp-no rotting food

Myka 10-14-2012 02:26 AM

Imo, SPS do not need to be fed unless you're achieving ULNS (ultra low nutrient system) via carbon dosing whether that be biopellets, Zeovit, vodka, Fauna Marin, Prodibio, vinegar, etc. If you have achieved ULNS your tank will have no algae, extremely low phosphate and nitrate, and your SPS will be pale/pastel colored. Otherwise, I don't think there is much benefit to feeding SPS corals, and find that feeding attempts tend to spark algae blooms more than anything. The corals should get enough nutrients from photosynthesis and miniscule bits of fish food in the water column.

NIVLEM09 10-14-2012 02:47 AM

Thank you for the feedbacks and i am sure more will chime in.... to give a friendly advice:biggrin: i am a novice when it comes to this highly addictive hobby and the info you share to those with very little knowledge(like me)is invaluable!once again,thank you.all i need to do now,is to collect colourful and pretty corals for the wife,so she will allow me to continue on in this hobby.:wink:

Aquattro 10-14-2012 02:53 AM

Here's the thing. Half the people are going to say feed, and the other half no. I say no. I run a tank similar to what Myka refers to, and still don't feed and currently have a problem with my corals growing too fast. So what do you do? After everyone chimes in, you're right where you started.
So here's my thought. Corals tend to do well with or without feeding, and we know that feeding can add to the nutrient load in a tank, and we also know that that can lead to algae issues, brown corals, etc. So until you have a lot more experience in managing the nutrients that "may" develop, try not feeding and see how it goes. Your corals won't be harmed by not feeding, so try that for a while...

Myka 10-14-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 754663)
So here's my thought. Corals tend to do well with or without feeding, and we know that feeding can add to the nutrient load in a tank, and we also know that that can lead to algae issues, brown corals, etc. So until you have a lot more experience in managing the nutrients that "may" develop, try not feeding and see how it goes. Your corals won't be harmed by not feeding, so try that for a while...

Hey! That's what I was trying to say, Brad just did it better! :D

SPS success is all about removing nutrients to the extreme. Most people are not good enough at removing nutrients to such an extreme that feeding the SPS corals becomes necessary.

reefwars 10-14-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 754663)
Here's the thing. Half the people are going to say feed, and the other half no. I say no. I run a tank similar to what Myka refers to, and still don't feed and currently have a problem with my corals growing too fast. So what do you do? After everyone chimes in, you're right where you started.

thats just it , start out with the basics its a solid recipe. before anyone experients with loads of food they should learn the ropes of a reeftank then when the time comes for experimenting theres some knowlege of common things you aquire over time:)

well said!!

chris88 10-14-2012 03:12 AM

Feeding helps increase grow and health in my experience. However do not feed at the expense of water quality. If nutrients are low feeding will help. Make sure what you feed is small enough for the sps to eat. Also spot feeding is much more helpful then Broadcast feeding.

NIVLEM09 10-14-2012 03:24 AM

I do agree with what Aquattro has said,that half the people will say feed and the other half don't.and,i also know that we have our own opinion on everything and especially have our own way of doing things.there's a plethora of information out there,some are good and some are bad.i will try myself not to get confused and just absorb-what i think is the best of the bunch:lol: though,i still would like hear/see more people put in their two cents regarding this matter.note:i enjoy logical argument but detest aggression,so try to keep it to a minimum,pls.pool your accumalated knowledge together for the sake of those with very little...

Aquattro 10-14-2012 03:36 AM

Overall, I think feeding, if done right with the right foods, can offer something extra for the corals. But I think that the wrong foods, done wrong, can cause a lot more problems than most newer hobbyists are prepared to deal with. I know for a fact that not feeding is fine, my tank is proof. Could it be slightly better if I fed? Sure, maybe..or not. But it is doing exceptionally well without, so I'll stick with that :)

So until one is experienced enough to start dumping things in the tank that may need to be removed, I always advise to err on the side of caution.

If you really want to feed, the best I've read about is rotifers, although running a culture for those could be a hobby in itself.

Duker 10-14-2012 05:35 PM

Yup, its true feeding SPS with out knowing why and how can be more trouble for water quality as Brad and Myka both elaborated on :biggrin:; but yet here is one more thing...i don't feed my sps, i feed my fish a good quality diet (spirulina brine, mysis, plankton, cyclopeeze and on pellet days GOOD quailty pellets) sooooo
good quality fish food=good quality fish poop
good quality fish poop=good quality bits in the tank water (that doesn't get skimmed out) that your SPS corals have access too...voila SPS food!
(but of course DO NOT feed extra to your fish). If there is one thing to take from my ramble it's this---Get a handle on keeping your nutrients low, and on keeping your Calcium, KH, Magnesium in the correct zones. This is actually the MOST important for the SPS corals anyway!!! Good luck, you will do great; especially with canreefers in your corner!:biggrin:

NIVLEM09 10-14-2012 07:58 PM

it is good to know that i can rely on my fellow canreefers for some good advice:razz: my hat's off to you guys and gals...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duker (Post 754780)
Yup, its true feeding SPS with out knowing why and how can be more trouble for water quality as Brad and Myka both elaborated on :biggrin:; but yet here is one more thing...i don't feed my sps, i feed my fish a good quality diet (spirulina brine, mysis, plankton, cyclopeeze and on pellet days GOOD quailty pellets) sooooo
good quality fish food=good quality fish poop
good quality fish poop=good quality bits in the tank water (that doesn't get skimmed out) that your SPS corals have access too...voila SPS food!
(but of course DO NOT feed extra to your fish). If there is one thing to take from my ramble it's this---Get a handle on keeping your nutrients low, and on keeping your Calcium, KH, Magnesium in the correct zones. This is actually the MOST important for the SPS corals anyway!!! Good luck, you will do great; especially with canreefers in your corner!:biggrin: