Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   To feed or Not to feed SPS (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90710)

Aquattro 10-14-2012 03:36 AM

Overall, I think feeding, if done right with the right foods, can offer something extra for the corals. But I think that the wrong foods, done wrong, can cause a lot more problems than most newer hobbyists are prepared to deal with. I know for a fact that not feeding is fine, my tank is proof. Could it be slightly better if I fed? Sure, maybe..or not. But it is doing exceptionally well without, so I'll stick with that :)

So until one is experienced enough to start dumping things in the tank that may need to be removed, I always advise to err on the side of caution.

If you really want to feed, the best I've read about is rotifers, although running a culture for those could be a hobby in itself.

Duker 10-14-2012 05:35 PM

Yup, its true feeding SPS with out knowing why and how can be more trouble for water quality as Brad and Myka both elaborated on :biggrin:; but yet here is one more thing...i don't feed my sps, i feed my fish a good quality diet (spirulina brine, mysis, plankton, cyclopeeze and on pellet days GOOD quailty pellets) sooooo
good quality fish food=good quality fish poop
good quality fish poop=good quality bits in the tank water (that doesn't get skimmed out) that your SPS corals have access too...voila SPS food!
(but of course DO NOT feed extra to your fish). If there is one thing to take from my ramble it's this---Get a handle on keeping your nutrients low, and on keeping your Calcium, KH, Magnesium in the correct zones. This is actually the MOST important for the SPS corals anyway!!! Good luck, you will do great; especially with canreefers in your corner!:biggrin:

NIVLEM09 10-14-2012 07:58 PM

it is good to know that i can rely on my fellow canreefers for some good advice:razz: my hat's off to you guys and gals...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duker (Post 754780)
Yup, its true feeding SPS with out knowing why and how can be more trouble for water quality as Brad and Myka both elaborated on :biggrin:; but yet here is one more thing...i don't feed my sps, i feed my fish a good quality diet (spirulina brine, mysis, plankton, cyclopeeze and on pellet days GOOD quailty pellets) sooooo
good quality fish food=good quality fish poop
good quality fish poop=good quality bits in the tank water (that doesn't get skimmed out) that your SPS corals have access too...voila SPS food!
(but of course DO NOT feed extra to your fish). If there is one thing to take from my ramble it's this---Get a handle on keeping your nutrients low, and on keeping your Calcium, KH, Magnesium in the correct zones. This is actually the MOST important for the SPS corals anyway!!! Good luck, you will do great; especially with canreefers in your corner!:biggrin: