Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Calgary (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Selling my Brand New Set up (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77837)

DisneyCoralReef 08-20-2011 01:51 AM

Selling my Brand New Set up

Hey folks,
I am hoping someone here might be interested in this. I am looking at selling the set up I just had installed. I've flooded it once, and now up to the thousands in renos because I left the tap running(dont say anything).

Looking at selling everything: http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?Ad...47822408%3B%3B

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, or advice. Hubby is completely against me selling it, but I cant imagine going through this again, because I swear I have alzheimers and forget to turn things off.

arash53 08-20-2011 02:21 AM

WOW Thats really $975 for everything and brand new! I wish you where here

DisneyCoralReef 08-20-2011 02:25 AM

...I know, I know. I did price it to sell it quickly....hoping there is someone out there looking for a new set up.

tinman 08-20-2011 03:16 AM

flooded

sorry to hear the news,i agree with your hubby there are lots of units at a reasonable price to control such things i have flooded my place a couple of times then i got smart and bought the right equipment and never had a problem again. if it wasn't for a bad memory i would have none at all.

DisneyCoralReef 08-20-2011 03:20 AM

And he suggested to invest the money into the bells and whistles to have the tank do its own thing as far as auto top etc was concerned. I think the problem is me now. After having gone through this, I don't know that the joy of having a tank, will ever outweigh the fear of having another repeat of a flood because of one thing or another.

I'm really torn.

megs_clark 08-20-2011 04:04 AM

Id say keep it and invest in a good top off unit like the tunze and ro/di unit that automaticly shuts off!! Its not much to add a thingy to shut the ro/di unit off when it hits a certain level in your bucket, Jl sells them I think. (Im assuming its your ro unit cuz thats what I always forget to turn off) Iv sold my tanks so many times, had my last one leak, and I always end up buying another one. Your better off keeping it, with how much you have invested, to give it away for that price would suck. And you will end up spending a bunch more down the road to start up again. Buy the automatic shut off thingy and set er up when the renos are done!!! Oh and keep a good insurance company!! :O)

riceboy 08-20-2011 04:40 AM

Ya I say keep it to I flooded my parents house once but that was my stupidity of having the outlet of the ato in the sump in the water at a higher level then the resorvoir. So when the ato pumped the water it started a siphon and sucked water back out. Lesson learned lol and parents were ****ed for a couple days. Almost had to get rid of the tank.

cwatkins 08-20-2011 05:12 AM

Just keep it and buy the Tunze Auto Top Off. It uses redundant sensors to ensure that it doesn't fill up your sump and overflow. Just ensure the tubing isn't submerged in the sump, otherwise as already mentioned, you could get a back siphon going.

Mine is great and haven't overflowed it once. Knock on wood.

And besides, I use an old salt bucket as my new fresh water reservoir, so it only holds about 5 gallons of water. And the sump for sure has at least 5 gallons of additional capacity, so there's no way to overflow the system, unless the drain on the tank gets plugged and the water pumped up to the tank overflows.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Also, PS. You shouldn't be using tap water in a salt tank. Some people do with success, but I'd be scared to. You really should be using RO or even RO/DI water.

Myka 08-20-2011 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwatkins (Post 630636)
I use an old salt bucket as my new fresh water reservoir, so it only holds about 5 gallons of water. And the sump for sure has at least 5 gallons of additional capacity, so there's no way to overflow the system

This is what I do too. Redundancy avoids wet floors. I use the Tunze ATOs too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwatkins
unless the drain on the tank gets plugged and the water pumped up to the tank overflows.

This is one of many reasons why I use a Herbie style overflow. Two drains. More redundancy.

Bloodasp 08-20-2011 05:49 AM

I think a lot of us here have gone through issues with flooding especially when we were setting it up, I've never had one for a while now though, so I'd say avoiding this accident comes with experience. You and your hubby are at least interested in it, this is just me but I'd say the risk is worth the reward.
And yeah ATO is probably one of those good investment that will save you a lot of headaches like the flooding that you had.