Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   SOL-VEGA-DIY? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91231)

Nano 11-01-2012 06:07 PM

SOL-VEGA-DIY?

So. I'll keep this short.

I'm working up to a 120g standard tank for the spring time. Currently have half the funds or so set aside while saving for a house at the same time. I'm pretty sure I've got most everything covered.. except lighting.

I'm really stuck here and can't make a decision
Obviously I don't want to break my bank on radions or vertex etc so naturally I'm choosing between diy, sols, and vega's..

Now I've spoke to Martin, and for a fully controlled fixture that I can monitor from my computer or ios device he says I may be better off getting 2 sols or 2 Vegas.
Question iswill 2 be enough? It's a 4x2x2 tank and will be sps only with some zoas in the base.

So I'm trying to figure out what will punch the deepest, give best color options and spread. Btw the tank has a center brace.
I don't necessarily see myself running reds and greens more blues and whites maybe magenta or that kind of color as well for asthetics.

So. I know some have gotta Vegas as of late, and some have sols and so on.

Thoughts and experiences are appreciated

Thanks

Ken.

reefwars 11-01-2012 06:13 PM

pm'd some info:)

wmcinnes 11-01-2012 06:15 PM

Gonna be totally honest. I don't think my two Sols over my 90 was enough. Lots of shadows.

subman 11-01-2012 06:17 PM

I have 2 Vegas on half of my 6ftand IMHO 2 isn't enough for your 4'.

subman 11-01-2012 06:21 PM

2 radions would be closer to enough coverage

The Grizz 11-01-2012 07:59 PM

DIY DIY DIY DIY DIY DIY...... Oh did I mention DIY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sphelps 11-01-2012 08:14 PM

These days I'm anti DIY, fixtures are just too convenient and cheap to mess around with something that won't look, work or upgrade as good. However if you're looking for a DIY version of a sol this is the closest thing I've seen, however it's quite limited in terms of control so if that is really important to you then the answer is obvious.

In terms of two sols being enough, not for SPS tank but should be decent for LPS and soft corals but you'll have to hang them pretty high and use 70 degree lenses. For SPS you'll probably want four installed the proper way. The nice thing with modular fixtures is you can add more later. I haven't seen a Vega over a tank before so can't really comment, a little more power there so if you can spread the light might be worth while.

Nano 11-01-2012 08:59 PM

Well.. I bit the bullet. Got a bit of a hike in the budget not by much mind you.. but I'm going to the dark side.. errr ahh bright side!
After considering what i want out of my fixture all week and then really chewing om it which distracted me at work I'm going with 2 radions. Man I feel guilty saying that after owning SOLs so long.. but considering that I could take up to 4 sols with my middle brace or a hefty diy bill from the looks of it. I decided to be lazy and go with a finished fixture.. (not really lazy, it means I have to continue my 12 hr shifts another month or two)

Lol.. what did i get myself into.

Thanks all

reefwars 11-01-2012 09:43 PM

the all in one features of the radions are what sold me , simply its clean ,powefull and had full contrability over just about everything you want in color and intensity. ive never done a diy but i can imagine in order to get the same quality finish would cost a fair bit, especially if you enjoy the little things like touch sensors and cd programs to save your settings and explore.

its a fun fixture too i could play with the programming forever lol

martinmcnally 11-01-2012 11:35 PM

Radion is a great fixture but for the price of 2 of those you can have 4 Vegas. However I see their announcement today they are dropping the price to $599 for the G1 and $649 for the G2. That's awesome! Definitely makes them more affordable.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/11/01/g2-radion-xte/