Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tank brands and set ups? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125280)

SharkBait48 01-16-2018 01:58 PM

Tank brands and set ups?

Looking to build a 150-200 reef.

What do you guys think is the best way to go for a tank this size?

Custom build?
If so where?

Or are there companies out there that have set ups similar to Red Sea?

Thanks!

chizerbunoi 01-16-2018 02:45 PM

Check out Waterbox Aquariums. They are very similar to Red Sea. Also got a nice contest going on right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharkBait48 01-16-2018 08:46 PM

They look reputable.

Do they make 150-200 gals?

Have you had any experience with them?

spit.fire 01-16-2018 08:54 PM

Concept aquariums
I’ve never been disappointed with their tanks or service

fire&sputum 01-16-2018 09:14 PM

Honestly just get a Red Sea Reefer XXL.
Concepts is now closed for 2-3 months.
They make great aquariums but Red Sea with its cabinetry looks more like furniture than most custom aquariums.
I have gone down custom built route several times. (one horrible experience with Bow V)
Having everything engineered to work together is way superior IMO.
If you do go the Red Sea route you will need to build a screen top as well as a real auto top off tank for 3rd cabinet. The one that comes stock is a joke.
Concepts made my ATO and did a great job.
Also factor in buying 10+ filter socks right away as you will get 3 days max per pair before having to wash them.
Ikea makes a great side cabinet for dosers, chemicals,food, etc.. that I would recommend. Sits next to the Red Sea

fire&sputum 01-16-2018 09:22 PM

I should mention that any type of useful refugium is next to impossible with a Red Sea Reefer. There is no room to make it work- believe me I tried. There are several internet workarounds but they are pitiful. The Reefer is a Berlin style setup only. Lots of room for large skimmer or reactors in sump- no room for refugium. If a fuge is in your plans then go custom.

chizerbunoi 01-16-2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkBait48 (Post 1023141)
They look reputable.

Do they make 150-200 gals?

Have you had any experience with them?

Unfortunately, no. They only go up to 135 gallons. Sorry. I thought if you are looking at the Red Sea max line then why not this as well.

I have a concept custom tank and really like it.

CHEAPREEF 01-17-2018 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spit.fire (Post 1023142)
Concept aquariums
I’ve never been disappointed with their tanks or service

^^^^ This, had a Rea Sea Reefer. There nice but man they are pricey as they get and plumbing is not a standard fit if you break anthing, very thin walled so would be easy to do.

SharkBait48 01-17-2018 02:27 AM

That’s great to know about their red seas.

Thanks for all the great responses guys!

As for custom I’ve only heard of the concept brand but am worried about a tank being made and then it has issues.

My main thing is I want a very clean looking professional tank that is big enough for a couple tangs.

spit.fire 01-17-2018 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkBait48 (Post 1023165)
That’s great to know about their red seas.

Thanks for all the great responses guys!

As for custom I’ve only heard of the concept brand but am worried about a tank being made and then it has issues.

My main thing is I want a very clean looking professional tank that is big enough for a couple tangs.

You don’t have to worry about having issues with a concept tank, also if you want a fancy stand for the “Red Sea max look” go to 19 islands in Edmonton