Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Product Review and Equipment Forum (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hagen Glo or Nova Extreme T5's, which is better (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47223)

Trigger Man 12-07-2008 01:33 AM

Hagen Glo or Nova Extreme T5's, which is better

So as the title says I'm trying to figure which brand to go with for some supplemental t5 lighting for the back of my tank. I'm looking for a 2 bulb 36" unit, and from what I've found out these two are the contenders. Has anyone used either or heard anything about either one?

StirCrazy 12-07-2008 01:43 AM

I have the hagen glo on my fresh water tank and I am very impressed with it. it is a 22" deep tank and it is very bright to the bottom than I am able to grow high light plants in there terf form. I haven't seen the nove ones though.

Steve

mike31154 12-07-2008 02:20 AM

No experience with the Nova Extreme, but I've been using a 36" Hagen Glo fixture for over two years now and it's been trouble free. Initially as main lighting but now with two actinics for dawn dusk lighting effect.

Mounting is quite flexible, a good quality hanging kit is provided and there are extendable arms on each end to mount directly on to tank. I kept the fixture close to the water surface initially and found the reflector easy to clean. The salt splashes wipe off with plain water whereas my retrofit single reflectors are much more difficult to clean up. Waterproof/resistant endcaps are well made.

Lance 12-07-2008 03:18 AM

I have a Hagen Glo fixture that came with my 90 gal corner tank. I also have a Nova Extreme over my QT tank. IMO there is no comparison, the Glo fixture is a much nicer unit. Waterproof end caps and nice reflectors. The built-in timers are easy to use and work great. I have had this fixture for over a year now and it still looks brand new.

karazy 12-07-2008 03:21 AM

my hagen GLO doesn't have built in timers..

but anyways, i have a 24 GLO inch over my 29 gallon, and so far it seems pretty bright

awa1979 12-07-2008 07:05 AM

I have the 36" 2 bulb on my 40 breeder and like them, nice light and color.

But mine don't have built in timers, so I am not sure about that feature.

ElGuappo 12-07-2008 08:21 AM

i am running a 2x 24 watt fixture of both brands and the nova extremem is trash compared to the hagan glo.

IMO the hagen glow is MUCH nicer to look at and just a BETTER light in general.

Granted the glow cost a little more and neither have timers, but the nova is also much wider than than the glow.
now when i say much wider its a mater of 3/4 inch at most. i was working with a 10 g and had to work with a center joint for the canopy, and HOB Skimmer, and eventually went to a sliding top.

Also the nova extreme comes with bulbs (1 10k = 1 actinic blue) and the glo doesnt. i havent changed the bulbs in the nova either, so it may just be the bulbs REALLY suck. pretty big difference so i dont think its the bulbs.

Oddly enough doug and i just had a similar converstation about the hagen glo and i am sure you would get a thumbs up from him on this unit aswell. ANY lfs that sells the glow should also sell the reflector upgrade aswell (indi reflectors). i do not have the upgrade and find its fine without it.
i run a 24" on my contest tank and a 48 on my 45g SW(was SW for a while)

Not sure if he still has it but jdigital was selling a 39 x2 glo. i have no idea if he sold it.

to see the exact nova extreme unit i am talking about it is pictured in my nano contest thread in the empty tank shot (Post 1).

Myka 12-07-2008 12:31 PM

I have the 36" 2x39w and although I don't own a Nova Extreme, I have taken a look at them, and seen them in use. I chose the Hagen over the NE. I didn't know the Hagens had a timer option though...? I'm wondering if someone did a real nice mod job on Lance's. I've had mine for about two years running on a separate timer, and I haven't had any issues with it. I'm running an AquaScience bulb with a KZ Fiji Purple, and they are the brightest bulbs I've had in it so far (I've had the Hagens, and Giesemann in it before). Don't buy the Hagen bulbs, they aren't nearly as powerful as the better brands out there. I'm going to try out their reflector upgrade, it looks a lot better than the original that it comes with. I would like to buy a second 2x39w for when I move my reef over to the 40g. However, all that said, the Tek 4x39w ($350) costs only $10 more to buy than buying two Hagen 2x39w (2x $170), and if a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better unit! If you can retro fit your T5s I would go with the Tek 2x39w retro fit.

Lance 12-07-2008 03:07 PM

Maybe the built-in timers only come with this tank. It is a Fluval Venezia (made by Hagen) tank with a special-made Hagen Glo fixture that fits into the top of the quarter cylinder tank. I assume Hagen would make a standard light fixture with the timers as well, but maybe not. Anyway, it is a well-made fixture and I recommend it to anybody.

mark 12-07-2008 03:23 PM

Haven't seen NE but using the Glo ballasts and wiring for my retro 54w actinics. Quality end caps.