Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Edmonton (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Best place to buy fish in edmonton (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108757)

gottafindnemo 08-14-2014 04:44 AM

Best place to buy fish in edmonton

Was wondering for future reference where the preffered place to buy live stock is in edmonton? Tank is cycleing but once its ready we plan on makeing the trip from grande prairie for something. A clown for sure, not sure what else. And dont have a qt tank..

krisjoseph 08-14-2014 06:48 PM

The only place I know I Edmonton that QTs livestock BEFORE sale is Aquarium Illusions... but they do seem to charge a bit of a premium for that feature (less politely: they're expensive)

There's another small outfit called Marine Experience that I haven't checked out yet -- I'm just beginning the process of stocking my tank, as well :)

Proteus 08-14-2014 07:35 PM

Aquarium illusions, marine experience, big als, marine aquaria

AI does qt but people still have gotten ich and velvet.
Marine experience does copper qt

gottafindnemo 08-14-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 909466)
Aquarium illusions, marine experience, big als, marine aquaria

AI does qt but people still have gotten ich and velvet.
Marine experience does copper qt

I thought copper was really hard on saltwater species??

gottafindnemo 08-14-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisjoseph (Post 909456)
The only place I know I Edmonton that QTs livestock BEFORE sale is Aquarium Illusions... but they do seem to charge a bit of a premium for that feature (less politely: they're expensive)

There's another small outfit called Marine Experience that I haven't checked out yet -- I'm just beginning the process of stocking my tank, as well :)

So by qt before sale, do you have to pick your fish and then they qt it? Or how does that work? They qt when they get the fish in?

intarsiabox 08-14-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottafindnemo (Post 909470)
I thought copper was really hard on saltwater species??

Bad for corals and other inverts.

intarsiabox 08-14-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottafindnemo (Post 909471)
So by qt before sale, do you have to pick your fish and then they qt it? Or how does that work? They qt when they get the fish in?

No, they just all go into qt for 2 weeks. A proper QT is 6-8 weeks, 2 weeks pretty much just lets you see if they are eating or not.

Aquattro 08-14-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intarsiabox (Post 909494)
Bad for corals and other inverts.

Also bad for fish. Just not bad enough to kill them right away.

intarsiabox 08-14-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquattro (Post 909496)
Also bad for fish. Just not bad enough to kill them right away.

Odd that an LFS would do so then

From what I've read too high a dose can kill fish, too little does nothing but using the correct mfg recommended dose is fine.

Aquattro 08-14-2014 11:51 PM

No, copper is poison. Just not immediately fatal in dosages used to kill parasites. LFS use it has it's the most common method. But it's still poison and can leave residual amounts in the fish. Different levels will affect different fish in various degrees, but it's still not the best thing to use.

I wouldn't use it on my fish.