Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Warming RO water? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41094)

Gools 04-05-2008 03:57 PM

Warming RO water?

My RO feed water is freezing, just looking for some ideas on how to warm it up. I have heard of using a bucket with water and a heater in it, only problem is you would need alot of tubing for the water to have a chance to warm up, and with more tubing you lose pressure. Is there any other methods to warm the water?

banditpowdercoat 04-05-2008 04:06 PM

Make RO in a bucket, with heate in it. One bucket at a time. Are you planing a large water change? Basically need a bucket large enough to hold all the water you want to change, or change the water one smaller bucket at a time

Myka 04-05-2008 05:13 PM

Are you talking top up or waterchanges? Either way...bucket with heater.

banditpowdercoat 04-05-2008 05:25 PM

I dont warm for top-ups. But then, only using 1/2g for TU, added to sump, doesnt change tank temp

Psyire 04-05-2008 05:34 PM

The only thing you can do is add a pump and make sure your pressure into your RO unit is 65 psi constantly. (if it is already then forget the pump)

It would cost you a lot more money to warm your feed water with a heater than it would to simply waste more water. (electricity is much more expensive than water)

One other possible option is to coil your RO feed tubing in your sump. This will cool your tank water as well as heat your RO feed water. You must be careful not to cool your tank water too much though otherwise your heater will run and you are back to square one.

KrazyKuch 04-05-2008 07:13 PM

You could always tap into you hot water feed line as put a valve and then take it to you RO aswell....this way you can add a little hot water to bring them temp up!

Richard_Dicosimo 04-05-2008 08:30 PM

im not certain but im sure that i read your ro unit will work better with cold water then hot so dont tap your hot water line.

Richard

Gools 04-05-2008 08:46 PM

RO membranes are suppose to produce better around 77degrees water temp. I'm getting major condensation on all my RO lines, which has never happened before, so my water is very cold, which will cause you to lose performance. Right now I am getting around 80 psi to my membrane.

KrazyKuch 04-05-2008 10:09 PM

Correct they work best in that 25 degree Celcius temp range and the last time I checked the temp of the water coming out of my tap it was like around 16 degree's celcius

Black Phantom 04-05-2008 10:26 PM

This might not work for everyone but I run my supply line through my sump.Being that I heat the water for the tank I figured why not use it. I also make sure I do a five minute flush of the membrane once a week. It seams to add to the life of my RO.