Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A few questions regarding equipment (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22513)

SerLunchbox 02-04-2006 11:47 PM

A few questions regarding equipment

So i have a person who is a wholesaler for lights called "reef optix" by a company called sunlight supply.

Has anyone heard anything about this company. It looks to be good but i am never sure on proucts like this and thought to ask the experts.

Also: It looks like I MAY be getting a deltec skimmer. Is there any benefit to going with a deltec over say H&S, ASM or Euro-Reef since they all use the needle-wheel technology?

Is it true that they are better quality?
Thanks

TheReefGeek 02-05-2006 12:57 AM

Deltec has a better build quality (materials) than ASM for sure, and probably Euro-reef as well, IMO. But you pay out the nose for a Deltec, and unless you beat it up, an ASM will do very well for its price.

What size tank are you setting up?

mr_alberta 02-05-2006 01:52 AM

Sunlight Supply makes some of the best lighting for aquarium use. Their Reef Optix 3+ pendants are tested to be one of the best to use for Double Ended bulbs. I own a pair of Reef Optix 3+ pendants and a Bluewave 7 ballast and I am very happy with the results thus far.

If you can get them for wholesale prices, you are super lucky! Their Marinestar fixtures are suppose to be top knotch as well.

As for the skimmer, it depends on what you want and how much money you have to spend. I think Deltec skimmers come with more toys though (such as the self cleaning head and the wet neck). If you are already considering a big money skimmer, you may also look into Bubble King skimmers which are suppose to be the Rolls Royce of skimmers.

Ruth 02-05-2006 02:37 AM

I have bought a Deltec hang on skimmer (thanks Andy) so am waiting for it to arrive. They are supposed to be an excellent skimmer so I am anxious to see how it skims my 44 cube that I am currently using a Remora Pro on.
I have a Bubble King 400 ext. and it is a Rolls Royce. Very impressive skimmer but like the Deltec you will pay dearly for it. No regrets in buying it at all as I am a firm believer in overskimming your tanks if you want to seriously do SPS coral. I am so impressed by this skimmer that I ordered another bigger one - I must be crazy!

SerLunchbox 02-05-2006 04:35 AM

TheReefGeek:
I am planning on setting up a 50 gallon main tank with a 40-50 gallon sump. I don't want to go TOO big right now as i am just getting my feet wet in the marine aspect of it all.

I have thought about a bubble king but i don't want to be divorced after recently getting married.

Thanks for the comments on the Reef Optix. I have a price quote of APX $750 - $800 (that is with shipping) for the Marinstar 36" fixture with tek t-5 actinics in it and 2 10,000K 250W HQI ballasts (DE bulbs) --- this is the bulbs, ballasts, hanging fixtures etc.....

As for a Deltec skimmer, i can actually get my hands on a new one that is about $650CDN plus about another 50-100 for shipping ... it is about the cheapest that i have found anywhere.

TheReefGeek 02-05-2006 05:06 AM

I could get you an ASM G5 for $750, no GST, and shipping from Edmonton to Calgary is cheap. That would be good enough for a 300 gallons. It depends on the height of your stand though. Check out my site for pricing on smaller models.

The G4+ is a nice model because it is 24" hight, fits under most stands, and is good enought for a 250g tank or so. (350g by ASM's marketing, but all skimmers are overated)

rickjames 02-05-2006 03:05 PM

Honestly for your tank i think an ASM G3 is overskimming. But if you can get a deltec for that price, you probably won't regret it. You almost always get what you pay for.

I myself have a G4X and it works great.

StirCrazy 02-05-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickjames
Honestly for your tank i think an ASM G3 is overskimming.

Overskimming? there is no such thing:mrgreen:

Steve

TheReefGeek 02-05-2006 05:01 PM

Getting a larger skimmer usually saves money in the end, because you just know you will upgrade your tank or add a second one in the future! I learned the hard way, I am on my 5th (and hopefully last!) skimmer.

SerLunchbox 02-05-2006 09:41 PM

I would go with ASM but i heard so many sketchy problems with them.

They have great reviews ... but i consistantly see problems when it comes to them.