Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hippo tang (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125458)

Dash 02-08-2018 04:32 AM

Hippo tang

I know this question has been flogged a few times, but thought I'd get some thoughts on this. I like small "personality" fish, and haven't really wanted any tangs except to admire from afar. The only one I like is good ole Dory, the hippo tang. The size is somewhat daunting though. My tank isn't that big (110 gal) but it's 72" long. My next biggest fish will be the 2 puffers, which are smallish now but have the potential to reach 6" apparently. Everything else is small (9 total right now).

From what I've read, they either go from 1" to a foot in the blink of an eye, or they don't. I don't want to keep my fish happy. Should I just forget it?

Myka 02-08-2018 01:27 PM

If you want a fish with personality, don't buy a Hippo Tang. :lol: Despite what Disney portrays, Hippo Tangs hide a lot (for a tang), and they are usually quite aggressive compared to many other tangs. I have an aquarium service company, and many clients have bought Hippo Tangs - most of them get to 5-6" within 18 months, then grow slowly after that. One client has one that's only 2.5", and it's been that size since I've been cleaning the tank (3 years).

DKoKoMan 02-08-2018 03:51 PM

My hippo tang is out and about all day long until night time. If scared the Hippo will hide within the rock work. I may have lucked out as my hippo is not aggressive and has been in he tank since the beginning (around 6+ inches). The only thing is she will fly around at the top of the tank and will occasionally splash.

albert_dao 02-08-2018 05:34 PM

Same as Myka, I've had hippos go both ways, instant 6" or perma 3".

They also have zero interesting behavioral traits. They're either out eating or smooshed up into the rocks. There's little to no exploring or curiosity like you'd expect from other fish with "personality".

(Probably in the 200+ range for hippos I've been in longterm care of over the years -- Service company, pet stores, etc)

That said, they're still a stunning fish. If you want a blue fish, you'd be hard pressed to find one with more oomph than a hippo. And your tank size should be fine. Let's get real here, you're not trying to replicate the ocean. You're putting fish in a glass box. Just accept the morality of it and enjoy your fish tank (it's not like they're self aware :P)

Dash 02-08-2018 05:40 PM

Thanks guys - great info.
In this case, I’m more interested in the hippo for its looks, haha. (Although I will enjoy her meandering in circles singing “just keep swimming.”)

Looking at my tank now, I feel it would be nice to have a more showy somewhat larger fish than the current crew. It’s a peaceful tank as the puffers don’t live up to their reputation at all.

If I start with a small one, I wonder if that would shape its personality to be more passive.

I was also considering a copperband but worry about it competing with the mandarin & eating all my featherdusters.

**And Albert, my puffers take exception to your remark. They are smarter than your average bear.

albert_dao 02-09-2018 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash (Post 1024108)

**And Albert, my puffers take exception to your remark. They are smarter than your average bear.

Hey! I have no digs on puffers! They definitely have personality :D

It's the hippos and their sardine-like behavior I was knocking.

Myka 02-09-2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_dao (Post 1024121)
It's the hippos and their sardine-like behavior I was knocking.

Hahaha!

If you want a blue fish with more personality than a Hippo, get a pair of Yellowtail or Starcki Damsels. Neither are very aggressive (many similar species ARE!), and they at least are curious. Plus they'll breed in your tank and set up their own little territory. Much more entertaining than a Hippo Tang.

Dash 02-09-2018 04:08 PM

OK, so I have to decide if I want a big blue, ich-happy, albeit beautiful, sardine in my tank. Hmmm... But then again, my niece who had a flooded kitchen stemming from her neighbours fridge upstairs, wonders why I have a big glass box of water in my house.

I should do it!:bananajump:

DKoKoMan 02-10-2018 03:18 AM

DO IT! :mrgreen:

Piscez 02-11-2018 09:33 PM

I've had my hippo almost 5 years now got her when she was the size of a quarter (25cents) smallest one I'd ever seen for sale, she now approx 6" in 210 gal ( 72"x30X24) she does hide in the rocks if she sees quick movements except when feeding of course she's a pig she's not aggressive at all . To my non fish friends she is about the most popular because of the movie along with my nemo's but hey if it's your favourite by colour I'd say go for it but if you are considering any other tangs get them around the same time and get em young! Good luck and enjoy