Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Have you ever added up the cost of your tank and realized.... (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49924)

GreenSpottedPuffer 02-25-2009 11:24 PM

Have you ever added up the cost of your tank and realized....

...its really not worth it?

Myka 02-25-2009 11:25 PM

Yes, many times. Especially when I want to go on a trip somewhere or buy something significant, and I realise my puny little 33g tank cost me more. Grr...

mark 02-25-2009 11:26 PM

I think it's worth it.

Delphinus 02-25-2009 11:33 PM

Yes. I had a really bizarre dichotomy of feeling on this when I was in Hawaii a few years ago. On the one hand, I was ... That rock pile gives me an amazing idea to try for rockscaping my next tank. On the other hand I was .. if I forgo that next tank maybe I could come back to Hawaii and do this again. Or go to Fiji. Or SOMETHING. I don't seem to have the earning power to maintain both a nice tank and go to warm places. It's a weird choice. Of course, maybe running 4 reef tanks is part of my problem. AND, this is the year something gets done about that. I think. We'll see. :lol:

Rbacchiega 02-25-2009 11:36 PM

only when things aren't working right. That's when I get fustrated. When things are going right and the tank is fantastic looking it's not that bad. I still have a long and torrid argument in my head over spending alot of money on a pump...

my2rotties 02-25-2009 11:39 PM

My husband and I don't ever talk about the total and never even think about it. There are days where I wonder why we did this to ourselves but most days I behold my beautiful tank and never look back. We set everything aside to build this tank and stock it. When winter is over I will jsut maintain everything, let it grow and keep it thriving.

I usually get very depressed over the winter months and this is the first time I am not at depressed in any sort of way. I have been a very happy camper. I find watching my fish is like a mood enhancing drug or something. It's like a portal to a magical world and then I look out my window and see winter. I never thought about this until now, but this tank does make me feel much better about the weather and winter.

It was worth every penny, but I won't be adding anything up... I lost count long ago.

Mrfish55 02-26-2009 12:17 AM

It's cheaper than a lot of other hobbies/past times. I have friends that think I am nuts for spending the amount of money I do on my tank, but then they smoke a pack a day and I don't. Do the math and they spend more per year on smokes than I do on my tank. I know plenty of people that spend more per day at the local Java shop on grande double frappa whatchacallits than I do on my tank, bottom line, you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can.

Rbacchiega 02-26-2009 12:20 AM

mmmmm grande double frappa whatchacallits....

johncody 02-26-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrfish55 (Post 393066)
It's cheaper than a lot of other hobbies/past times. I have friends that think I am nuts for spending the amount of money I do on my tank, but then they smoke a pack a day and I don't. Do the math and they spend more per year on smokes than I do on my tank. I know plenty of people that spend more per day at the local Java shop on grande double frappa whatchacallits than I do on my tank, bottom line, you can't take it with you so enjoy it while you can.

I don't think i could have said it better and i even took a $3500.00 hit.But if my wife gave me the go ahead i would be setting up a in wall 600 in a heart beat. There is some about containing a life stable environment for them it like having children. and I'm gonna spoil the you know what out of mine now....
Or i just might have a problem saving money.. :)

Cheer JohnCody

christyf5 02-26-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rbacchiega (Post 393035)
only when things aren't working right. That's when I get fustrated. When things are going right and the tank is fantastic looking it's not that bad. I still have a long and torrid argument in my head over spending alot of money on a pump...

Ditto. I never go anywhere anyways :razz: