Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Lighting Specific (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   GHL Mitra Owners club (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92688)

subman 12-18-2012 05:23 PM

GHL Mitra Owners club

I got my Mitra's hung last night and all I can say is WOW! These lights are unbelievable, the coverage is amazing, zero disco ball effect.
The only downside is the programming. It is standard GHL programming so if you have or have had a profilux you should be ok.
I have 3 over my 225 (72x32x24) and the tank is fully covered no dark spots or shadowy areas.

kien 12-18-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 774648)
I got my Mitra's hung last night and all I can say is WOW! These lights are unbelievable, the coverage is amazing, zero disco ball effect.
The only downside is the programming. It is standard GHL programming so if you have or have had a profilux you should be ok.
I have 3 over my 225 (72x32x24) and the tank is fully covered no dark spots or shadowy areas.

Yup, these lights kick arse! So you're keeping them then? :lol:

sphelps 12-18-2012 05:40 PM

Have you calculated how long your pay back period is since switching to LEDs? :lol:

Glad to see someone else doesn't see any disco effect, not just me. I think Keener must has permanently screwed up eyes from watching too many color wheels spin.

I thought the programming is pretty good, are you talking about the software?

subman 12-18-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kien (Post 774652)
Yup, these lights kick arse! So you're keeping them then? :lol:

Yes for the love of all things holy these are the last ones lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 774657)
Have you calculated how long your pay back period is since switching to LEDs? :lol:

Glad to see someone else doesn't see any disco effect, not just me. I think Keener must has permanently screwed up eyes from watching too many color wheels spin.

I thought the programming is pretty good, are you talking about the software?

Yeah the software. It's not hard just a little clumsy is all. What does your program look like Sphelps?

sphelps 12-18-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subman (Post 774659)
Yeah the software. It's not hard just a little clumsy is all. What does your program look like Sphelps?

Hmm I thought the light composser was pretty sweet but honestly haven't done much with it. It's kind of embarrassing how basic it is, basically just run it around 15K peek @ 80%. Ramps up in the morning from a dim red and then ramps down to a dim deep blue. I haven't had a chance to play with it since I bought it

kien 12-18-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphelps (Post 774657)
I think Keener must has permanently screwed up eyes from watching too many color wheels spin.

I think that a lot more people won't see/notice the disco with these lights. Consider this though, you can see the disco with Radions but there are lots of people who don't ;-)

Also, I think Keener is a screwed up little Sissy Junior Member cry babie :cry:

Sub, I hear they're working on the Mitras Pro. :behindsofa:

Delphinus 12-18-2012 05:59 PM

Mitras Pro! :lol: Well shoot I better wait some more then before pulling this trigger myself.

Can't the disco effect be adjusted by varying the height of the units above the waterline or playing with their position overhead? Or is it pretty much constant no matter what you do - "if you see it, you see it" kind of thing?

Arok3000 12-18-2012 06:22 PM

I played around a bit in my tank, with a different LED albeit, and If I turn off my pumps, then the disco disappears a little. I think pretty much every LED fixture will look great over air shining on the floor, but when you get ripples on the surface, it diffracts the different LED's at separate angles, which causes the disco. At least that's my theory. Possibly some of the disco effect varying between users has to do with the motion at the surface of the water. Less surface ripple could equal less disco.

subman 12-18-2012 06:35 PM

I've had some experience with LEDs (way to much actually lol). When it comes to disco ball effect here is my ratings:
1 mitras (none)
2 radion (small amount)
3 ai sol (visable)
4 ai Vega (very noticeable)

The sol has less because of the lack of colored LEDs. All these were over the same tank on the same rack at some point over last year.

Reef Pilot 12-18-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arok3000 (Post 774671)
I played around a bit in my tank, with a different LED albeit, and If I turn off my pumps, then the disco disappears a little. I think pretty much every LED fixture will look great over air shining on the floor, but when you get ripples on the surface, it diffracts the different LED's at separate angles, which causes the disco. At least that's my theory. Possibly some of the disco effect varying between users has to do with the motion at the surface of the water. Less surface ripple could equal less disco.

It is the surface water ripple that does it with my Radions. When I turn off the pumps, it disappears.