Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Basement sump for 125 gallon display suggestions (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129005)

Finisher604 10-20-2019 03:14 PM

Basement sump for 125 gallon display suggestions

After having a display tank for 7 years. I’m finally moving into my own house and will be setting up a basement sump. I don’t have plans for frag tanks or any crazy equipment, Looking to keep things simple.

Equipment will include 125 gallon 6’x18”x22” tank with. 75 gallon sump in the basement directly below the tank. Will have RO, top off and dosing.

Do any of you have suggestions on plumbing and pumps.

I’m bracing the floor to support the added weight as well.

smokinreefer 10-21-2019 04:14 AM

If sump is directly below, a DC pump will do the trick.

Plumbing, at least 3 lines. 2 for drain one for return.

Finisher604 10-21-2019 05:21 AM

Awesome thank you 🙏

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinreefer (Post 1038869)
If sump is directly below, a DC pump will do the trick.

Plumbing, at least 3 lines. 2 for drain one for return.

bauder1986 10-21-2019 12:25 PM

Just make sure you take the head height flow rate of the pump into account. Every pump should have a graph in the information manual showing the flow rate vs head height.

dino 10-21-2019 02:54 PM

pretty general statement saying a dc pump will work.

smokinreefer 10-22-2019 01:16 AM

Cool story bro.

If you have questions, you can just ask.

smokinreefer 10-22-2019 01:29 AM

DC pumps have been gaining popularity mainly due to how quiet they operate, variable speed control, and how energy efficient they run.

However, they are not generally the go to pump when there is any significant head pressure.

Seeing how the OP said his sump will be in the basement directly below the display, head pressure will be minimal.

I can recommend a DC pump, based on my personal experience with my current system.

I too am running a remote sump in the crawlspace of my basement. In my case, the sump is actually about 14' away and about 10' below. I've been using a Magnus 12000.

Hope this helps everyone reading this thread!

Eljefe1050@gmail.com 10-22-2019 01:33 AM

The Magnus pumps are great and best value for the money for sure by far

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Finisher604 10-22-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauder1986 (Post 1038873)
Just make sure you take the head height flow rate of the pump into account. Every pump should have a graph in the information manual showing the flow rate vs head height.

Thanks for the heads up ..

Finisher604 10-22-2019 01:24 PM

Magnus looks like a great pump. I have there skimmer and love it. My system will be clean and basic as I mentioned. No plans to expand, after 7 + years in the hobby I know what I want and that’s to keep it simple. I’ve got my dosing regiments down and corals grow at a perfect pace and my fish are happy.

QUOTE=smokinreefer;1038888]DC pumps have been gaining popularity mainly due to how quiet they operate, variable speed control, and how energy efficient they run.

However, they are not generally the go to pump when there is any significant head pressure.

Seeing how the OP said his sump will be in the basement directly below the display, head pressure will be minimal.

I can recommend a DC pump, based on my personal experience with my current system.

I too am running a remote sump in the crawlspace of my basement. In my case, the sump is actually about 14' away and about 10' below. I've been using a Magnus 12000.

Hope this helps everyone reading this thread![/quote]