Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tank Journal (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   lastlight's 28 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91143)

lockrookie 10-29-2012 06:05 PM

Good to see you back will follow as always

Sent from my porcelain aquarium

Enigma 10-29-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastlight (Post 759276)
Continue praying yesterday's top temp of 82F is not exceeded before summer comes and we hopefully get central AC!

These things get really hot, even the ones with just the CF bulbs. By the end of May my NC12 (which had CF bulbs) was reaching just past 82F, so I had to retire it.

I would recommend that you keep your eyes open for a chiller or that you move the tank to your basement.

The NC24 I'm working on is upstairs in our house, has DIY leds . . . and I know the chiller will be required some time in the spring for sure. I'll "T" off the return pump and carve out spots in the back of the hood for the tubes to pass through.

These are great little tanks . . . but the temperature issues are pronounced.

Leah 10-29-2012 06:57 PM

Tank looks great! Brett.

And I for one... have missed you around here. :wink: Glad to have you back on board. Canreef is just not the same without a few people. :lol:

Skimmerking 10-29-2012 06:59 PM

BRETT;
You
are
worst
then me
and
my skimmer's

lastlight 10-29-2012 07:14 PM

Haha thanks guys and yes Mike as fragged up as that is... I AM :mrgreen:

I still have a hole in the wall behind the couch so I can get a chiller (again) and run it from the basement if needed.

My Solana was totally fine with an open top if I recall correctly when I had the 4-fan unit clipped on it so there's another option. I'd then look at the Clip-on 150w Viper or maybe an LED. If I'm going to spend ballpark 250 I'd *maybe* look into a fixture like the vega. Thing is I honestly prefer the look of halides. At the end of the day what's any of the cost worth if when you look at the tank and don't like what you see?:neutral:

If we get AC then there is no issue as I would keep the main floor at 21. This current config hits 82F when the room is 22. I'd be content with a 78-82 swing it's the same range I ran on my last tank.

Leah 10-29-2012 07:31 PM

:laugh: I hate to admit but Mike is right...for once. :biggrin:

jorjef 10-29-2012 07:36 PM

Atta boy, welcome back to the asylum... I'll let you decide if it's the insane or sanctuary version.

kien 10-29-2012 07:38 PM

hey, great run today.

fishoholic 10-29-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delphinus (Post 759273)
It's nice!

I like those tanks.

Your signature .. :lol: ....

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 759340)
BRETT;
You
are
worst
then me
and
my skimmer's

I'd say equal not worse! :razz:

lastlight 10-29-2012 08:02 PM

Shelley did you ever try blowing a fan across the back chambers? That water is all exposed seems to me a 4-fan clip-on blowing down in there could do wonders. That's the cheapest and first thing I'm going to try =) We're cat owners again too and the canopy sorta gives me some peace of mind.