Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Tips and Tricks (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Best Reef Literature (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31481)

GrimReefer 03-19-2007 05:42 AM

Best Reef Literature

I only own one book dedicated to the hobby so far....Borneman's Aquarium Corals. It is the best investment I've made. I'm also planning to buy Caltho's Reef Invertebrates.

Any other suggestions??

Johnny Reefer 03-19-2007 12:04 PM

Delbeek & Sprung's 3 volume set "The Reef Aquarium". I've never even seen a copy...let alone leaf through it, but I hear it's "The Bible".

One of these days......:sad:.

Cheers,

justinl 03-19-2007 03:32 PM

If you want a good invert book, Ive heard good things about "Crustacea Guide of the world" by Helmut Debelius. I plan to buy it one day.

Joe Reefer 03-19-2007 03:58 PM

Reef Aquarium vol 3. is a great book. Lots of information on setting up a reef aquarium, equipment etc.

Reef Invertibrates and Aqaurium Corals are great books, I also think Corals - A Quick Reference Guide by Sprung is worth noting too.

revgeoff 03-19-2007 04:07 PM

The reef aquarium series is very good. You can get them from Chapters online or Amazon for decent prices.

GrimReefer 03-19-2007 04:16 PM

Are the Reef Aquarium volumes just updated versions of the previous? Or is each volume worth owning?

Joe Reefer 03-19-2007 05:06 PM

Good question. I got volume 3 for my birthday, and just finished reading it this weekend.

michika 03-19-2007 05:54 PM

Currently volume 2 is only available on Chapters.ca. I looked cause I wanted to buy today. :D

kwirky 03-19-2007 06:24 PM

PocketExpert Guide: Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D.

cheap, and quite good. Fairly recent, too (c) 2003.

michika 03-19-2007 06:28 PM

I also have to put in for Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael, 2001. Good reference guide mostly for photos. Good point to remember though is that the images published are all the most unique that can be found, e.g. the Regal Tang on pg. 388 shows the yellow belly version, not often seen in the hobby.

christyf5 03-19-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGrimReefer (Post 241615)
Are the Reef Aquarium volumes just updated versions of the previous? Or is each volume worth owning?

Each one is separate, concentrating on different topics.

Vol 1. Stony corals and clams
Vol 2. Soft corals and anemones
Vol 3. science art and technology of building aquariums.

I have vols 2 and 3. Too wordy for me, I just looked at the pictures :wink:

I'd recommend the Conscientious Aquarist by Bob Fenner and definitely get Calfos Marine Inverts book. I can't wait till they release the new one.
Marine Fishes 500 essential to know aquarium species by Scott Michael is one of the most often read books in my collection. Its practically falling apart :mrgreen:

kwirky 03-19-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 241655)
Marine Fishes 500 essential to know aquarium species by Scott Michael is one of the most often read books in my collection. Its practically falling apart :mrgreen:

I have that one, too. pretty good.

Pescador 03-19-2007 10:51 PM

Here's a list of a bunch

The Reef Aquarium, Vols. 1, 2, and 3 Delbeek and Sprung
Corals (A quick reference guide) Julian Sprung
Invertebrates (A quick reference guide) Julian Sprung
Modern Coral Reef Aquarium, Vols. 1,2,3,4 Fossa and Nilsen
Reef Secrets Fossa and Nilsen
Fishes and Coral (same publisher as above) Brockman
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist Robert Fenner
Reef Invertebrates Calfo & Fenner
Aquarium Corals Borneman
Natural Reef Aquariums J.Tullock
Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium J.Tullock
First Marine Aquarium J.Tullock
Clownfish and Sea Anemones J.Tullock
Marine Atlas, Vol. 1, 2, 3 Baensch
Giant Clams Knop
Marine Aquarium Reference, Systems & Inverts Moe
The Marine Aquarium Handbook Moe
The Captive Reef Dana Riddle
The New Marine Aquarium Paletta
Live Sand Secrets B.Goemans
Protein Skimming & Activated Carbon Secrets B.Goemans

Marine Algae Control Secrets B.Goemans
Sand Bed Secrets R.Shimak
Reef Fish Identification Humann
The Marine Aquarium Mills

michika 03-19-2007 10:54 PM

We should make this thread into a sticky for new reefers!

BCOrchidGuy 03-20-2007 04:16 AM

My library is limited but I like and use these four books

Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook, Dr. Roberty J. Goldstein (Barrons books)
Aquarium Corals, Eric H. Borneman
Clownfish, Joyce D Wilkerson
Reef Life (Natural History and Behaviors of Marine Fishes and Invertebrates), Denise Nielsen Tackett & Larry Tackett

and of course all the stickys on Canreef.

Doug

Alterego 03-25-2007 10:26 PM

Is there one book that any of you would cite as a must have for the new reefer?

Norstar 03-26-2007 05:05 AM

Being a newbie myself :biggrin: , I would say

The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3 Delbeek and Sprung
Natural Reef Aquariums Tullock
Aquarium Corals Borneman

Pescador 03-26-2007 10:21 PM

Definitely can't go wrong with those.

Oscar 04-02-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer (Post 241587)
Delbeek & Sprung's 3 volume set "The Reef Aquarium". I've never even seen a copy...let alone leaf through it, but I hear it's "The Bible".

One of these days......:sad:.

Cheers,

So as a newbie still deciding what size and style of tank to invest in Volume 3 would be the place to start?

Joe Reefer 04-02-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 244120)
So as a newbie still deciding what size and style of tank to invest in Volume 3 would be the place to start?

Yes, this book will prevent you from making some very expensive mistakes.

Norstar 04-03-2007 03:21 AM

Can anyone recommend some good fish compatability charts or books? Better yet, fish and coral compatability charts or books?

Snappy 04-13-2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norstar (Post 244305)
Can anyone recommend some good fish compatability charts or books? Better yet, fish and coral compatability charts or books?

I believe the Dr smith & foster website has a pretty good compatability chart that came in handy for me.

Snappy 04-13-2007 02:32 AM

For those who are interested in coral id and taxonomy I would add another book-set to the list:
Corals of the world volumes 1 2 3 by J E N Veron
I give this set a very big 2 thumbs up.

GrimReefer 07-06-2007 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snappy (Post 246573)
For those who are interested in coral id and taxonomy I would add another book-set to the list:
Corals of the world volumes 1 2 3 by J E N Veron
I give this set a very big 2 thumbs up.

i'm sorry i have to compare it to the bible....does it surpass Borneman's Aquarium Corals?? the only thing that could make it better is a species by species break-down....

michika 07-06-2007 04:15 AM

I tried to pick up Vernon's books through my university bookstore, chapters, and amazon, but can't get it because its only available in the U.K. and Australia I've heard. Has anyone else had lucking finding it, or picking it up locally?

I've also heard recommendations on Staghorn Corals of the World; A Revision of the Cenus Acropora, by Carden Wallace Museum of Tropical Queensland. ISBN 0643063919. Again though, I haven't had luck finding it locally.

Calfo also has a new book coming out this year; Book of Coral Propagation. You can currently pre-order it here: http://www.readingtrees.com/sales_preorder_bocp.html. Since its new I haven't heard anything about how updated it is, or what has changed since the first edition.

Pescador 07-06-2007 06:00 PM

Wai's did have a copy of the 3 volume set, if it's not still there he might be able to get another. $$:smile:

michika 07-08-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pescador (Post 258974)
Wai's did have a copy of the 3 volume set, if it's not still there he might be able to get another. $$:smile:

Do you mean Vernon's set?

Pescador 07-09-2007 05:46 PM

Yes, Vernon's set, and also Amazon.com has it and they will ship it to Canada.

michika 07-09-2007 07:53 PM

Thanks, I'll look into.

Veng68 07-10-2007 02:06 AM

Try checking out Premium Aquatics....... they will also ship it via USPS so you only get charge $5 brokerage fee vs $35+ with UPS/Fedex
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ory_Code=Books

Cheers,
Vic[veng68]

Veng68 07-11-2007 01:27 AM

bump

o.c.d. 01-28-2008 03:33 AM

I purchased Veron's from Marine Depot it came in perfect condition, I my 2nd edition copy of Calfo's Book of Coral Propagation (Hard cover) and wow it done way better than the first edition ,He added a lot more photos and seems like more info but I just started reading. One thing I must say about Veron's corals of the world the amount of corals described is staggering like over 100 pages on montipora

michika 01-28-2008 02:59 PM

I finally got Calfo's book on Coral Propagation last week, and I also picked up Fartheree's Giant Clam book too. So far the Giant Clam book reads like an intro to post-secondary reading, but the photos are very nice.

SeaSerpant 01-29-2008 01:18 AM

what do you think the best book would be for the newbie reefer?

Floop70 01-29-2008 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 241655)
I'd recommend the Conscientious Aquarist by Bob Fenner

As a newb reefer myself I picked up this book recently and so far I think it's certainly worthwile. I don't have anything to compare it to though...:biggrin:

SeaSerpant 01-29-2008 01:34 AM

Lol. First hand information there. Lol. Anyone else?

Johnny Reefer 01-29-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSerpant (Post 297670)
what do you think the best book would be for the newbie reefer?

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Palleta. Doesn't really focus on reefing, per se, but IMO it is an excellent book on marine basics. My apologies re: this recommendation if your beyond that and indeed are looking specificly (sp?) for reefing lit.

On another note....and not sure if it's been mentioned yet....but the online mag "Reefkeeping". Fantastic! I just recently took the opportunity of printing off some 170 of these articles.....at work :redface: . If I can somehow save face on that....it was on weekends during slow times and 3/4 of them I printed in black & white. I ended up with 6 big binders of them. For me, nothing beats having a hardcopy in hand.

Cheers,

SeaSerpant 01-29-2008 01:48 AM

where is this online magazine (site)?

Johnny Reefer 01-29-2008 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSerpant (Post 297681)
where is this online magazine (site)?

Go to reefcentral.com. You'll find it there.

sparky 05-21-2008 12:28 AM

I own this book and its the best of 5 books that I've read