Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   The one thing I would do differently is? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38788)

rocketlily 01-20-2008 09:12 PM

The one thing I would do differently is?

I have only had my 20 gal tank for a couple of weeks, changed things many times and already looking at a 90 gal, I would like to know what things others have done with their tanks that they wish they would have done differently if they could do them over.

christyf5 01-20-2008 09:17 PM

I started with a 20 gal as well and almost immediately went to a larger tank. I wish I had started with RODI water from the very beginning and had more patience :razz:

sharuq1 01-20-2008 10:29 PM

Me too on that one Christy. I also would have gotten a bigger tank, and a sump. Much more flexibility than the biocube I started out with.

Snappy 01-20-2008 10:46 PM

If I could have a "do-over" I would go at least 300 gal and get 400 w MH's right off. I would also build a fish room before I added the first drop of water.

BCOrchidGuy 01-20-2008 11:24 PM

I would have built my overflow box big enough to get my hand in, thought about room under my cabinet better as it's difficult to work in. I did go for excellent quality light and it's paid off, I like the size of aquarium I got this time, I've had bigger and smaller but I like this one. I would have spent more time sizing the live rock, it's hard to clean around it where it touches the sides.
When I first started I didn't use a QT tank, and I overstocked seriously. Now I QT everything, corals fish etc... I don't over feed and I don't over stock. My 60 gallon cube has 3 clowns in it, a few shrimp and a number of snails. It's a year old and I will soon be adding a fox face for algae control.

Doug

fishoholic 01-21-2008 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 295621)
I started with a 20 gal as well and almost immediately went to a larger tank. I wish I had started with RODI water from the very beginning and had more patience :razz:

I second that, bigger is always better. I went from a 65g and a 15g to a 120g and a 30g cube to a 230g.

marie 01-21-2008 02:43 AM

If I went straight to a 175g tank I doubt I would have even got into the hobby. It's one thing to spend $100 here and $500 there upgrading (I refuse to think of how many hundreds and five hundreds I've actually spent) but the cost of setting up a large tank straight off would of scared me silly :lol:

christyf5 01-21-2008 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 295717)
If I went straight to a 175g tank I doubt I would have even got into the hobby. It's one thing to spend $100 here and $500 there upgrading (I refuse to think of how many hundreds and five hundreds I've actually spent) but the cost of setting up a large tank straight off would of scared me silly :lol:

I totally agree, I only ended up upgrading because suddenly my 48gallon cichlid tank looked much better if I pictured it as a reef :razz: and then I got a 90 gallon tank for $75. At that point I thought $30 for a fish was expensive, now I know better :razz:

fishoholic 01-21-2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marie (Post 295717)

Good point.

Zylumn 01-21-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyf5 (Post 295621)

ditto here as well