Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lighting suggestions 36" X 15 x 15 (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122645)

freezetyle 02-28-2017 01:50 AM

Lighting suggestions 36" X 15 x 15

I recently got a nuvo fusion 30l (36") and have been struggling with lighting choices. The tank currently has a single kessil a360 which obviously leaves a lot of dark areas in the tank. So I have been throwing around the idea of selling that and getting the following options.
1) 3 kessil a80-
Pros: I already have a controller, silent (big plus), nice shimmer, price
Cons: under powered? Need to build canopy as I want to contain pretty much all light spill due to wife complaints
2) 2 ai prime
Pro: controllable, high powered
Cons:noise, still need to build a canopy, might still get shading
3)ati 36"sunpower non dimmable
Pros: no canopy, can use t5/led bulbs, even coverage
Cons:too powerful for15" depth?

Any Suggestions?

Tyfighter 02-28-2017 06:04 AM

I had 2 primes set up on my 40 breeder which is pretty similar in dimension but found there was too much shading. I ended up with 2 hydra 26s and have been much happier.

Myka 02-28-2017 12:53 PM

I vote T5 every time. I don't like the look of LEDs, and I don't like the programming of LEDs either.

Which types of corals will you be keeping?

DKoKoMan 02-28-2017 02:59 PM

Check out the Evergrow IT series. They make a size that will allow for complete coverage with no shading and they are virtually silent.

Ace Storman 02-28-2017 04:04 PM

LED Light option...

2 Attachment(s)
You could always go with a couple of Radion xr30w Gen 4's. I have several and they are awesome! (IMHO)...
Because all 8 light channels are completely and individually programmable, along with a master brightness level, the sky is the limit as to the look and growth you desire.
Yes, cost is initially higher, but looking at the long term, no bulbs to replace every 6-9 month's, energy efficiency and greatly reduced power bills along with very cool and quiet operation along with wireless operation and cloud access from any device.
As the light is 'focused' downward, ecotech states that the coverage is about 36" x 36", but in actual fact, I am seeing good coverage in a pattern of about 24" x 24" based on a tank that is 26" deep. I have the lights mounted on the Multi Light Radion Mounting Solution. Lights are about 8 inches above the water. I have a cube which is 3 feet front to back so I opted to go with 3 XR30's as I can catch the back corners on each side.

Attachment 15746

Reeflink controller programming interface allowing wireless control of the Radions.

Attachment 15747

kyl 02-28-2017 05:14 PM

Deven ran two XR15pro's on his 30L, looked great. The actual display area to light will be 36" x 11" x 12", you lose 3-3/4" width with the AIO wall and the glass is 13" high.

Reef-Geek 02-28-2017 06:10 PM

I have similar set up as your, do you only run at 20%?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Storman (Post 1009660)
You could always go with a couple of Radion xr30w Gen 4's. I have several and they are awesome! (IMHO)...
Because all 8 light channels are completely and individually programmable, along with a master brightness level, the sky is the limit as to the look and growth you desire.
Yes, cost is initially higher, but looking at the long term, no bulbs to replace every 6-9 month's, energy efficiency and greatly reduced power bills along with very cool and quiet operation along with wireless operation and cloud access from any device.
As the light is 'focused' downward, ecotech states that the coverage is about 36" x 36", but in actual fact, I am seeing good coverage in a pattern of about 24" x 24" based on a tank that is 26" deep. I have the lights mounted on the Multi Light Radion Mounting Solution. Lights are about 8 inches above the water. I have a cube which is 3 feet front to back so I opted to go with 3 XR30's as I can catch the back corners on each side.

Attachment 15746

Reeflink controller programming interface allowing wireless control of the Radions.

Attachment 15747

WarDog 02-28-2017 06:24 PM

Every successful tank I have seen in person has been based on halide or T5 lighting, with LED's as supliments. That being said, all those tanks were SPS dominent.

freezetyle 02-28-2017 06:57 PM

I'm leaning towards the t5 fixture. As I was worried about the shading from leds. It would only be the 4 bulb model as I dont want to light up the back portion of the aio. This would allow all coral choices which is nice

Now 24" or 36"?

Ace Storman 02-28-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reef-Geek (Post 1009670)
I have similar set up as your, do you only run at 20%?

The lights are still ramping up. All 3 lights are running at 45 percent at high noon. It is part of the default curve available as a profile in reeflink. I have not had the time to create a 'custom' profile. Its a work in progress...