Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Polls (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   RO SYSTEM or BUYING RO (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74480)

Harpo 04-08-2011 02:41 AM

RO SYSTEM or BUYING RO

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if you think buying an RO system would be cheaper then buying it at the store?

Are the RO system filters expensive?

Any thoughts on this one?

BlueTang<3 04-08-2011 02:43 AM

How much water will you be using? For small quantity just go buy it, as making small amounts of water and then stopping is hard on the filters. Filter cost depends on the number of stages you have.

Harpo 04-08-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 (Post 605157)
How much water will you be using? For small quantity just go buy it, as making small amounts of water and then stopping is hard on the filters. Filter cost depends on the number of stages you have.

I have a 70 Gallon tank...not set up as I am moving. I was just thinking for the new house what would be more cost effective. How long can RO water sit without being used? Does it go stale?

BlueTang<3 04-08-2011 03:16 AM

I have water go stagnant but i don't think stale if you keep it slightly agitated. The biggest problem is keeping bugs and stuff out of the water. I assume that bacteria would form on water that sat for an extended period. I usually make 50 gallons at a tie and it sits being agitated for a few weeks and never have problems.

mark 04-08-2011 03:20 AM

when I had my 75g and using bottles was was something like $15/wk for evap and water changes. Can buy a ro/di unit along with a single change of filters (for a full year's worth of water) for around $175. Buy the filters in bigger quantities costs go down. Definitely cheaper and not have to hump and store the bottles a big plus.

FaRico 04-08-2011 03:38 AM

What about for a 28 gal nano tank? Ive been flipping back and forth on the subject of getting one or buying as well. I've been trying to read up on the operation of the machine and it seems to be some have problems with auto/automatic shut offs, and wasting of water. Is this something I should be concerned with since I'd only be doing about 15 gal in water changes a month?

Harpo 04-08-2011 11:51 PM

bump

whatcaneyedo 04-09-2011 12:02 AM

Still haven't figured it out? How much do you spend weekly buying RO water from a store? Multiply that by 52. If its more than $200 you're obviously better off buying a filter.

Membranes are sort of expensive (+$60?) but only need to be replaced every 3-5 years. Pre-filters are around $5-$15 each depending on how many you buy and where you get them from.

whatcaneyedo 04-09-2011 12:13 AM

I guess I should elaborate to say that if you're going to be spending over $200 in a year the filter will likely save you money right away in its first year. You will save even more in the subsequent years. For instance. Where I live we pay a fixed cost for water (its included in the rent) so I'm probably able to make over... 2000gal of RO/DI water for around $50 a year.

Harpo 04-09-2011 01:10 AM

Yeah...not too sure how much I am going to use as I don't use it currently. Do you know of any good systems that would be worth buying? There are so many options out there, it's hard to know what one is worth the money.

Thanks,