Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board

Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Reef (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sump levels constantly changeing? (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68366)

othicx 09-25-2010 02:38 AM

Sump levels constantly changeing?

So I have a question for everyone. I have been hired to maintain the tank they have in Joey's only and they have had it running for about a month now. The one thing that we have noticed with it is that the sump level will drop about 6 inches every day but then rise again every now and again. The auto top off has been turned off as it was filling the sump up to much. I was thinking it was condensation as it is pretty warm in the store and also they have a topper on the tank with 4 MH lights in it. What do you all think could be the issue if not condensation?

bvlester 09-25-2010 02:51 AM

That is strange the temp difference could make some difference in water levels,the level may drop a bit when the water is cooler and rise when it gets hotter, from the expansion and contraction of the water. Other wise I would think some one is putting water in the sump from time to time.. The ATO should be able to be adjusted so it does not add too much water. What wattage are those MH's if they are 400watters then they may cause extra evaporation. What size of tank is it and what are the dimensions, a tank with a larger surface area will have more evaporation even if it is the same size as a tank with smaller surface area.

Bill

The Grizz 09-25-2010 03:06 AM

I don't think it is an evap problem or a temp problem simply because the water level would not rise on it's own and if the ATO is off where is the water coming from the raise the level. The temp seemed to maintain steady when we where there. I think it is a plumbing problem that is causing the issue.

Palmer 09-25-2010 04:11 AM

How big is the sump? Are you running a skimmer? Is the water level in the skimmer also changing?

Delphinus 09-25-2010 04:26 AM

What kind of overflow? Is the level fluctuating in the overflow? What about the skimmer, is there one, etc. ?

othicx 09-25-2010 04:16 PM

The tank is a 650g and not to sure on the sump but i'm guessing a 70-90g sump. The tank is a hex with a center overflow. Yes there is a skimmer a bubble king 300 i think. As for overflow levels, I'm not really sure but i'll ask the owner to keep an eye on it.

Skimmerking 09-25-2010 04:34 PM

Well I can't believe u guys haven't figured it out yet it's the skimmer take it out and send it to me. Hehehehhhe sorry had to say it. A picture will help out alot to see

StirCrazy 09-25-2010 08:03 PM

two things come to mind, one do they have an well meaning employ who notices it is getting low and tops it up?

and the second is maybe there is some syphoning going on.. do they run the skimmer 24/7 or does it shut off at times, is the overflow level slowly building up then creating a syphon effect when its all water and drawing down more than normal?

as for temp.. nop not going to notice the expansion of water.. might make a milimeter difference but not realy noticable as the tank water with heaters and such should stay fairly constant in temp.

Steve

StirCrazy 09-25-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skimmer King (Post 551419)
Well I can't believe u guys haven't figured it out yet it's the skimmer take it out and send it to me. Hehehehhhe sorry had to say it. A picture will help out alot to see

hmm we knew it would come to this.. time to visit the specialest.. I think you have some PST causing you to drop to new lows :mrgreen:

Steve

Milad 09-25-2010 11:11 PM

i think you need to replace that skimmer, i have one for trade H&S 1260 200A
dont worry, ill help you out and make a even trade